Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Need advice on 1st time resto (CA77)

dw.mackie
honda305.com Member

Need advice on 1st time resto (CA77)

Post by dw.mackie » Wed Apr 08, 2009 11:14 am

Hi all,
I've been looking for a 60's or 70's bike to restore, and I've just joined this group b/c I've found a '66 CA77 that I'm thinking about taking the plunge on. I'm hoping I've come to the right place for advice...

This is the bike:
http://raleigh.craigslist.org/mcy/1111904748.html

and here's a pic (there are others with the listing) (hopefully this will work)

The pics make it look pretty horrendous, and the seller has told me it has no title.

Here are my questions, and hopefully someone can give me some guidance:
1. How hard is it to title a bike that doesn't currently have a title? I'm in NC, and the dmv isn't very clear on the process. It appears that I have to post an "indemnity bond"(?). Has anyone here ever done that?
2. How hard are these bikes to work on/restore? I've had 3 bikes in my life (83 Kawasaki GPz 550, 99 Yamaha R6, and a 98 Honda CBR600F3), and i've done "normal" maintenance on them (oil changes, carb cleanings, etc). Part of the appeal of an old bike is that I'm assuming they're relatively simple to work on. Am I wrong on this? Can a relatively handy guy, who uses the phrase "how hard could it be?" more often than his wife would like, have a reasonable chance of pulling this off?
3. How hard are parts to find? Looking over the board, it seems like there have been a lot of restorations, which makes me think that parts can't be that hard to come by.
4. The bike's priced at $1000, and I've told the seller that any offer I make will be substantially less. What's a reasonable price for a beat-up, ugly bike like this?

Also, I have a lead on a CL100. Does anyone here know anything about those?

Anyway, those are my questions. If I should be posting in the "restorations", my apologies, and I'll repost there.

Thanks,
Dave Mackie

CliffC
honda305.com Member

Post by CliffC » Wed Apr 08, 2009 12:08 pm

Dave,
From what I see in the photos it looks like its complete, in other words the parts that are normally missing are there. It also has the winkers which you don't see too often. All the things you listed, such as title, are covered some where in this forum. I would offer him $200 and go from there. Take a look at Paul's (4 Shorts) Dream restore in the restoration section, he is a real craftsman but it shows what you can do. Good luck, CliffC

honda305.com Member

Post by 305 » Wed Apr 08, 2009 1:42 pm

yes, it does look fairly complete...except for the mufflers and the tail light isn't original. do you know if the motor turns over? it may be stuck which will add to your work and cost. at $1000 he is completely nuts....i agree with CliffC , offer him $100-$200 and consider it a parts bike. the rims look heavy rusted and will cost some $$$ to replate or replace . i'm not saying it can't be restored , but you can find better out there for a lot less

mike69
honda305.com Member

restoration

Post by mike69 » Wed Apr 08, 2009 1:43 pm

Price seems pretty high,you could probably find a nicer one for that kind of money. I don't think he will get too many takers at that price.
Is the engine siezed? If it is that may cost a lot of extra $$$.
Check out the Broadway Title co. website for information on how to get a bike titled.
66 Dream
78 Goldwing

e3steve
h305 Moderator

Post by e3steve » Wed Apr 08, 2009 3:47 pm

Welcome Dave! Obs: tallight is possibly a portside nav light from a frigate, but fixable. The winkers are not OEM, but the rears look possibly early-'70s Honda 50/70/90; fronts? -- who knows. But for a decent resto, lose 'em all.

Looks like it could be fun, but would need lots of dedication. That's why we're all here: dedication!

Looking at it, and having seen the abundance of Superhawks, Tourers & Scramblers available on your vast continent, I'd say $1-large is double-money!

jawshunting
honda305.com Member

Post by jawshunting » Wed Apr 08, 2009 8:23 pm

I just bought one in a whole lot better shape than that for $200.00 bucks. I am going through the process of getting a bonded title as we speak. I live in Texas. Good Luck.

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home