Login
□ Search
□ FAQ 
□ 
Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

1964 CB72

Want to keep a Restoration Log? Post it here! You can include photos. Suggested format: One Restoration per Thread; then keep adding your updates to the same thread...
Vince Lupo
honda305.com Member

Post by Vince Lupo » Mon Mar 09, 2009 5:39 pm

Those look like Dunlops you have there.....?

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Mon Mar 09, 2009 6:29 pm

Swingarm bolt installed from the wrong side. ....................lm

RIDE IT DON'T HIDE IT!

toastyhamster
honda305.com Member

Post by toastyhamster » Tue Mar 24, 2009 11:34 am

LOL, you don't miss much eh? Thanks though, will correct it when the footrest plates go on.

Bit of an update:

Did the top end strip today, much better than I thought except for the discovery of what look like .5 oversize pistons. Bores seem fine etc. Top end is a complete pain to strip though. I know I'm used to two strokes but a two piece cam that you have to push the inner bearings through twice to remove each half doesn't make life simple. And the valve spring compressor I borrowed assumed the valves were above the cylinder head profile. Nothing I couldn't overcome though - worst thing was the cam end plate philips headed screws all needed drilling out.

Cylinder head/barrel and a few other bits now being bead blasted and should be back for the weekend. Trying to source a gasket set quickly so I can bolt the barrel and head on and get the engine in and mounted before we move house in 6 weeks....

Decided to not to a bottom end strip, my only reason for wanting to in the first place was to bead blast the cases and it looks like I won't have time. From what I can make out on here the crankcases should be sprayed silver, but there's no sign of any paint on the crankcases (or the side cases for that matter), I'm not an originality freak and I'm undecided whether to spray or not. Will decide when I see how the crankcases come up - they're pretty messy at the moment.

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Tue Mar 24, 2009 1:07 pm

Make sure the blasting media is the round and not the sharp. The sharp opens the surface and a drop of oil will penetrate rather than bead/spread and be able to wipe off.
The cases are not painted. ..........lm

toastyhamster wrote:LOL, you don't miss much eh? Thanks though, will correct it when the footrest plates go on.

Bit of an update:

Did the top end strip today, much better than I thought except for the discovery of what look like .5 oversize pistons. Bores seem fine etc. Top end is a complete pain to strip though. I know I'm used to two strokes but a two piece cam that you have to push the inner bearings through twice to remove each half doesn't make life simple. And the valve spring compressor I borrowed assumed the valves were above the cylinder head profile. Nothing I couldn't overcome though - worst thing was the cam end plate philips headed screws all needed drilling out.

Cylinder head/barrel and a few other bits now being bead blasted and should be back for the weekend. Trying to source a gasket set quickly so I can bolt the barrel and head on and get the engine in and mounted before we move house in 6 weeks....

Decided to not to a bottom end strip, my only reason for wanting to in the first place was to bead blast the cases and it looks like I won't have time. From what I can make out on here the crankcases should be sprayed silver, but there's no sign of any paint on the crankcases (or the side cases for that matter), I'm not an originality freak and I'm undecided whether to spray or not. Will decide when I see how the crankcases come up - they're pretty messy at the moment.
RIDE IT DON'T HIDE IT!

Spargett
honda305.com Member

Post by Spargett » Tue Mar 24, 2009 5:47 pm

I don't think the lower end crank case was painted. From what I understand the crankcase covers were though. Though apparently hard to find in person Krylon Dull Aluminum is what's generally recommended in the restoration manuals. Gunner_CAF and I used Dupli-Color Ceramic High Heat Engine Enamel(500°) and I'm happy with the results.

I decided to paint mine, because while, after scrubbing "clean", it still just didn't have the "polished" look I wanted. Though in retrospect, I don't its really noticeable under the all the crankcases, top end, and starter if you don't feel like sweating it. You can browse my Flickr Photostream to see alot of the painting I did if that's a route you wanna take.

Some people have just sanded and polished their crankcase covers with great success, as you'll see here.
toastyhamster wrote:From what I can make out on here the crankcases should be sprayed silver, but there's no sign of any paint on the crankcases (or the side cases for that matter), I'm not an originality freak and I'm undecided whether to spray or not. Will decide when I see how the crankcases come up - they're pretty messy at the moment.

toastyhamster
honda305.com Member

Post by toastyhamster » Sun Apr 19, 2009 6:50 am

Another update:

http://www.toastyhamster.plus.com/cb72%20007.jpg
http://www.toastyhamster.plus.com/cb72%20008.jpg
http://www.toastyhamster.plus.com/cb72%20009.jpg

Most of the work was building up the cylinder head. Also a bit of wiring tidy up and now the engine isn't cluttering up the garage I gave that a clean ready for the house move as well.

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Sun Apr 19, 2009 7:50 am

Open for comments?. ........lm
toastyhamster wrote:Another update:

http://www.toastyhamster.plus.com/cb72%20007.jpg
http://www.toastyhamster.plus.com/cb72%20008.jpg
http://www.toastyhamster.plus.com/cb72%20009.jpg

Most of the work was building up the cylinder head. Also a bit of wiring tidy up and now the engine isn't cluttering up the garage I gave that a clean ready for the house move as well.
RIDE IT DON'T HIDE IT!

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home