Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Problems With Ignition Advance?

Points Based Ignition | Electronic Ignition Upgrade
Tom W.
honda305.com Member

Re: Problems With Ignition Advance?

Post by Tom W. » Thu Sep 29, 2005 8:56 am

Woops, thanks for being patient with me. Now I understand you're talking about the rotor in the generator area. I guess I assumed that would be called the flywheel. Sorry, I'm still use to automobile terminology.<br /><br />So I should open the cover and shine the timing light there? And I'll need to rig up one of those little timing lights to check point opening. I use to have one of those lights but now even my '64 Falcon has a pointless distributor...<br /><br />Thanks,<br />Tom

piecutter
honda305.com Member

Post by piecutter » Thu Sep 29, 2005 12:39 pm

Now then, the light at the end of tunnel seems a little brighter!<br /> Had I only known about the missing mark, my fingers wouldn't be so sore from typing out an engine removal! That's ok. Just interested to see the results of the next timing light session!<br />

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Thu Sep 29, 2005 3:15 pm

Now when ya flash the pulg wires at the rotor we'll know what's up. Have you looked at the FAQ section of the 305 list as to how to time the points. If not I recommend you do and print a copy then do exactly as recommended. So far all that have followed correctly haven't had a problem and the usual comment has been &quot;bike hasen't run this well&quot;. .......................LM
RIDE IT DON'T HIDE IT!

Tom W.
honda305.com Member

Post by Tom W. » Fri Sep 30, 2005 8:51 am

When I finally got out to the garage, it was too late to fire up the engine. Also, the head of one of the generator rotor cover screws was damaged so it took a while to get it off. With the static timing light you could see the timing was late - 5 to 10 Deg. The point gap was ~.010. Since I had Ed Moore's instructions on timing I decided to time the points. The instructions were great, I couldn't get both points to light up exactly at the slash mark, but I got them both to within 1/2 a slash after the marks. It was 11 PM by then and I decided to call it a night.<br /><br />So, where can I find one of those short countersunk screws for the cover? This is a '64 so it has the old JIS (non-ISO) threads.<br /><br />Oh yeah, I also wasted a bunch of time trying to find the rat trap that got carried off. I finally heard some noise in the back of the garage and found it being dragged by the rat. These black plastic traps work soooo much better than those old wooden ones.<br /><br />Tom

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Fri Sep 30, 2005 3:44 pm

DId it run better?<br />All these type Hoda engines used the same screw at that part.<br />I have one if ya can't get one at a Honda dealer. .............LM
RIDE IT DON'T HIDE IT!

Tom W.
honda305.com Member

Post by Tom W. » Sat Oct 01, 2005 12:08 am

Really, I can get one of these screws at the dealer? I'll check with my local dealer.<br /><br />I rode the bike tonight and the problem was not fixed. Now I did shine the automotive timing light on the rotor, and it showed that the plug was firing about 1/2 way between the F mark and the double slash. When I rev'd the engine, it did advance to the double slash.<br /><br />I statically timed the points last night, and I got it very close to the F mark. Why is the strobe showing it much more advanced? I didn't check the left side since I thought I should think a bit before doing anything else.<br /><br />I made a MPEG file of the timing light:<br /><br />http://home.earthlink.net/~tew138/P9300042.MOV<br /><br />It's only 10 secs. but it's ~2.5 Megs!<br /><br />Tom

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Sat Oct 01, 2005 7:37 am

You are much to far advanced with the spark.<br />I recommend you make the 12 volt test light I recommend in the timing procuder. .................LM
RIDE IT DON'T HIDE IT!

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home