□ 
Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

1962 Superhawk Restoration: Here I go

Spargett
honda305.com Member

Post by Spargett » Wed Mar 11, 2009 3:46 pm

I am interested in powder coating the front forks. Though someone suggested that there might not be enough clearance between the forks and sleeves if I do so. What are your thoughts?

Spargett
honda305.com Member

Post by Spargett » Fri Mar 13, 2009 7:07 am

Its been another long road for this poor crankcase. It was in pretty bad shape when I got it. Had some deep scratches in it as well as part of the oil transfer port shaved down from apparently "never" being laid down. There were a few things I would have done differently, but it being my first time painting I'm happy with the results. Make sure to have the artist's touch while painting. Smooth, even finesse. It was first cleaned, sandblasted (aluminum oxide), JB Welded to fill in cracks, pimered, spot puddied, sanded, re-primered, and finally painted.

Check out all photos tagged "crankcase" to see it's evolution.

Ahhh, the starter has been rebuild and refinished. Hoorah. I'm happy with the results. Once the paint is done curing (in about 7 days), I'll pull the tape off and clear out any crevices with an x-acto knife for the final, finishing touch (double negative?). I used Dupli-Color Ceramic High Heat Engine Primer and Enamel (500°) because it's a tough, chemical resistant paint, which is important due to the starter's "head on" location on the bike. It'll be taking alot of action from the road debris and weather. As you can see here and here, it's been a long road for this poor dog already.

These were originally chrome, which has started to pit and corrode over time. I'll have these re-chromed (very expensive) eventually, but for the time being a nice coat of fresh paint will do. Note: These are upside down. Whoops.

I was just going to keep them sanded the bare metal then polish, but I figured I'd go all the way. Even though no one will see these under the gas tank, I'll still know they're there, and they were neglected. They came out really nice, and I'm glad that I did paint them. They were in pretty bad shape before.

I pulled the toolbox off because it had some gnarly rust building up on the very edge in big chunks, which was just going to corrode the box beyond repair. So I stripped it, sanded everything off and primered it here with a self-etching primer. The paint is still drying in this photo.

Lower crankcase has scrubbed with a scotchbrite pad and painted with a self-etching primer. It will be awaiting Dupli-Color Ceramic High Heat Engine Primer and Enamel (500°), which will match the left crankcase and starter.

I don't think most people would bother with this, but I'm going to give it a shot with some rather resilient engine paint and see how it holds up. The other (unavailable) option I would have preferred was sandblasting. I'm gonna make due, and do the best I can.

Alot of people have been asking me what paint I have been using throughout the project. I don't feel like I've been using anything particularly special, but with some research, these are what I chose. Some of these have individual labels on them with green tape. That's because many of them look almost the same, and I don't want to spend my time reading the fine print every time I use one.

I'm curious what these "old" thick rubbery gaskets are all about on here. I purchased the high quality complete gasket set for the CB77 from Japan. The included gaskets look nothing like these. They're more fiber based and thinner, than these "thickies". They seem relatively new though. Most were in pretty good condition. Any idea of the discrepancy between the two? I think I remember hearing someone say a thinner gasket gets higher compression.

e3steve
h305 Moderator

Post by e3steve » Fri Mar 13, 2009 7:51 am

Scott, great, informative post, as usual. Inspiring!

Yes, to your head gasket question. Although I'd pick up an OEM head gasket from Retro Bikes, if I lived where you are. Just to be sure.....

Gunner_CAF
honda305.com Member

Post by Gunner_CAF » Fri Mar 13, 2009 4:42 pm

Scott,

It's looking good!

Gunner

Spargett
honda305.com Member

Post by Spargett » Fri Mar 13, 2009 6:33 pm

Here's a shot of the head gaskets from the set I ordered. They seem like pretty high quality to me. Does anyone know anything about the nature and characteristics of different gasket materials and how one would be superior to another?

e3steve wrote:Scott, great, informative post, as usual. Inspiring! Yes, to your head gasket question. Although I'd pick up an OEM head gasket from Retro Bikes, if I lived where you are. Just to be sure.....

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Fri Mar 13, 2009 7:23 pm

I use that set with no problems. .................lm

Spargett wrote:Here's a shot of the head gaskets from the set I ordered. They seem like pretty high quality to me. Does anyone know anything about the nature and characteristics of different gasket materials and how one would be superior to another?

e3steve wrote:Scott, great, informative post, as usual. Inspiring! Yes, to your head gasket question. Although I'd pick up an OEM head gasket from Retro Bikes, if I lived where you are. Just to be sure.....
RIDE IT DON'T HIDE IT!

e3steve
h305 Moderator

Post by e3steve » Sat Mar 14, 2009 8:24 am

LOUD MOUSE wrote:I use that set with no problems. .................lm
Thanks Ed, that's encouraging info. I have 3 full gaskets sets ~ 2 from Sirius (Canada) and a Japanese 'Noboru'. I've read some pretty negative posts surrounding AM head gaskets. I intend using the Japanese set, being a guinea-pig for the forum. I've decided to postpone my full resto for this year, wishing to get the powertrain absolutely right before moving on to the paintwork next winter.

If I get anything in the motor or 'box that's not 100%, that means dropping it out again and risking cosmetic damage; so I'll do the internals first, then look at painting fully, starting in the Autumn. I have many spare cycle parts, so I'll fit the new fenders and prep the replacement fork shrouds, headlight bucket & tank ready for a swap-out as-and-when.

So, this year, it's rebore, pistons, gas-flow the head, replace valves, springs & guides, little ends with -305 pins, camchain, tensioner & idler, gearbox bearings & cotters, seals, clutch and primary chain / tensioner if necessary.

Having moved apartment, just after Xmas, I've had other fish to fry before my precious CB gets full attention.

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home