□ 
Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

1962 Superhawk Restoration: Here I go

Spargett
honda305.com Member

Post by Spargett » Tue Mar 10, 2009 6:12 am

Ahh, interesting. I guess I never noticed that it wasn't there. Thanks for pointing that out. I don't seem to see anything in the parts book underneath the battery as well.
LOUD MOUSE wrote:As issued the CB77 didn't have anything between the tail light bracket and rear fender. Check your parts book. ...........lm

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Tue Mar 10, 2009 6:29 am

There is/was one but I don't see it on the fiche. ............lm

Spargett wrote:Ahh, interesting. I guess I never noticed that it wasn't there. Thanks for pointing that out. I don't seem to see anything in the parts book underneath the battery as well.
LOUD MOUSE wrote:As issued the CB77 didn't have anything between the tail light bracket and rear fender. Check your parts book. ...........lm
RIDE IT DON'T HIDE IT!

jleewebb
honda305.com Member

battery rubber

Post by jleewebb » Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:53 am

Do great minds think alike or what? Look what I made at end of yesterday. Mine's a bit cruder and thicker than yours, several layers of tube laminated with vulcanizing cement to try and match thickness of original, cut freehand using old piece as a pattern. I got it too thick, will need to peel off a couple of layers, but cement's not stuck that tight so oughta work.

Pad under battery was a shallow rubber box a little wider and longer than battery with sides about 1/2" tall. So gotta make one of those too, I've got one rotten corner of old one to go by.

I'm really enjoying piddling with these little details, taking my time, learning to be patient. There's a great temptation to just slap it back together and get back to details later, but I know me and it might take forever to get back to little picky stuff if I don't do it now. --Lee
Attachments
Sorry for pic quality, I was a little fuzzy myself by this point.
Sorry for pic quality, I was a little fuzzy myself by this point.

Spargett
honda305.com Member

Re: battery rubber

Post by Spargett » Tue Mar 10, 2009 3:47 pm

Yeah, I can't even count the hours spent working on the little details. Spending all night with one piece making it just right. I'm an Art Director for a design firm, so detail is everything to me.
jleewebb wrote:I'm really enjoying piddling with these little details, taking my time, learning to be patient. There's a great temptation to just slap it back together and get back to details later, but I know me and it might take forever to get back to little picky stuff if I don't do it now. --Lee

Gunner_CAF
honda305.com Member

Post by Gunner_CAF » Wed Mar 11, 2009 12:48 am

I kind of enjoy finding some piddly part broken, then spend all night making it right. It drives my teenage son crazy. It was the same when I was his age and my Dad would do the same thing :)

Gunner

Spargett
honda305.com Member

Post by Spargett » Wed Mar 11, 2009 2:55 am

This is the inside of the rear rim. Normally a rubber strip runs along the inside to hold the spokes in and reduce the potential of the the sharp edge of a spoke snagging the the soft rubber tube. Some people will just use duct tape instead.

Some people will just keep applying more and more duct tape without removing the previous layer year after year, after year. Allowing these layers of duct tape to harden into something awful, similar to fiberglass it's so tough. I call this phenomenon "compounded suppression". As well as a huge pain in the ass. I spent hours carving out each spoke nipple with a razor (lucky not cutting myself), just to unlace the tire to transfer the hubs to the new rims and spokes.

Looks like rust where the rear break pads lock against the inside of the hub. Not very cool.

Here's the old spokes from the rear tire. As you can see, they're pretty gnarly. I'll see if I can clean them up with a nice soak in parts cleaner and a good scrubbing. They seem to be in pretty good condition otherwise. Always nice to have a backup set.

Some of the mess left after de-lacing the front and rear tires. That took all night to get the rear taken care of. It's been a loooong time since these tires have seen some loving.

jleewebb
honda305.com Member

spokes

Post by jleewebb » Wed Mar 11, 2009 9:08 am

You might try buffing, then clear coating those spokes after cleaning them up. If I'm not mistaken original spokes were zinc coated, so a duller finish than chrome would be appropriate.

Somebody who knows more than me could maybe tell you if your old rims would be worth anything to someone who wanted to clean up and have rechromed. I've seen some pretty gnarly ones on ebay, somebody may want them.

Pic is my version of lower battery pad. I think I need to glue on a narrow strip around the outside to finish it off. As you can see from fragment of old one, it had a rectangular cutout in bottom (for ventilation or drainage?) so I cut the bottom out of mine, too.

Enjoying watching your progress. Thanks, Lee
Attachments
bottom battery pad.JPG

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home