Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Grounding on newly painted bike

Charging System, Wiring, Lighting
jleewebb
honda305.com Member

Grounding on newly painted bike

Post by jleewebb » Sun Mar 01, 2009 6:48 pm

Could someone please help me get my thoughts straight on sanding off paint for electrical grounding? I plan to install new rear fender soon and want to be sure the tail light works, then for later on I need to know what I’m doing re other grounding. I want to be as discreet as possible, having a visceral reaction to thought of violating my new paint even where it doesn't show.

On rear fender, I plan to sand to bare metal two places inside the fender where bolts connect to frame at front and tailight bracket at rear. Then sand around corresponding hole inside bracket (behind license plate) plus a spot at top next to bolt hole to contact metal plate that holds the light socket. Threads where fender bolts to frame at front were masked, so should get a good connection there. I'll need to clean up (sand) inside tailight socket, too, as it's kinda rusty.

I'm planning to use dielectric grease, new washers, clean bolts throughout and test for continuity before touching up paint if necessary. I think that’ll work.

I know main battery ground goes to left top rear motor bolt. Coil bracket grounds to frame at top right motor bolt. There’s a gouge in the frame there that shows exactly where to sand.

Pretty sure I need to ground the coil bracket to the frame where it mounts, to provide a good bare metal connection between frame and engine, right?

I can see in my taking-apart pix where to ground the rectifier.

I started out to ask questions here, ended up thinking I’ve pretty much figured out what I need to do. If anyone sees anything I’m missing, please let me know. If anyone would like to say, “yeah, looks like you got it figured out,” that would boost my confidence. Thanks for your support. --Lee
Attachments
A spectator. He hung around for awhile, then left.
A spectator. He hung around for awhile, then left.

Nomad
honda305.com Member

Post by Nomad » Mon Mar 02, 2009 12:21 am

figured it out , if you have a dremel tool just grind the inside of the holes to remove paint , that should minimize touch up time

pat

jleewebb
honda305.com Member

thanks

Post by jleewebb » Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:56 am

Thanks Pat, that's about what I had in mind. --Lee

68Cb77
honda305.com Member

Post by 68Cb77 » Mon Mar 02, 2009 2:44 pm

Pretty sure the headlight bucket needs to be grounded too...
67 Honda CB77 Superhawk
82 Honda XR200R
70 Honda CB750 K0

jleewebb
honda305.com Member

grounding headlight bucket

Post by jleewebb » Mon Mar 02, 2009 10:02 pm

I'll keep that in mind, figure it out when I get there I suppose. That should be an interesting day. Thanks, Lee

CBX-tras
honda305.com Member

Post by CBX-tras » Tue Mar 03, 2009 12:56 pm

Forget the sanding method. Just use a "star" washer under the bolt head or nut. It'll cut down to the metal without any stray sanding scratches.

J.R.

jwbert
honda305.com Member

Post by jwbert » Tue Mar 03, 2009 4:13 pm

I use the star washers and have had no problems. jwb

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home