□ 
Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

1962 Superhawk Restoration: Here I go

Spargett
honda305.com Member

Post by Spargett » Sun Feb 22, 2009 4:24 pm

Just check this link out. BBCode formating. Once you read through it and play with the formatting buttons when posting replies, it'll make more sense.
jleewebb wrote:huh? easy for you to say.

Gunner_CAF
honda305.com Member

Post by Gunner_CAF » Sun Feb 22, 2009 9:24 pm

I always like your pictures. You work area lighting makes your shop look so dramatic :)

Gunner

Spargett
honda305.com Member

Post by Spargett » Mon Feb 23, 2009 3:56 am

I'd love to have some "less dramatic" even lighting ; ) But thanks, it does make for more dynamic photography.
Gunner_CAF wrote:I always like your pictures. You work area lighting makes your shop look so dramatic :) Gunner

e3steve
h305 Moderator

Post by e3steve » Mon Feb 23, 2009 8:33 am

Regarding your chain, Scott, I'm inclined to agree with Davo's obs; although I like to check chain-wear off the bike, observing the amount of lateral curve it displays when laid out straight. A new chain offers a slight curve when laid to the limit that the rivets will allow, whereas a badly-worn specimen can display a 135º+ curve:

Err, that should read <135'; i.e. More of a curve.
Attachments
Chain wear.jpg
Last edited by e3steve on Fri Mar 06, 2009 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Spargett
honda305.com Member

Post by Spargett » Wed Feb 25, 2009 2:02 am

Still Stripping The Gas Tank:

I'd love to know what this stuff is made out of. This is the tank after three cans of aircraft stripper. It almost looks like there's a layer of black paint, then some turbo primer, than another layer of black paint. Resulting in a poorly painted tank with runs and dust in the paint that scratches incredibly easy, but is impossible to get off. I'd like to extend a personal &quot;thank you&quot; to whoever did this.

Center Stand:

You'll also see the center stand to the right, which has been easily stripped (powder coat mind you) and is ready for new paint. Since I'm not ready to have the frame powder coated yet, I've purchased some epoxy appliance paint in the mean time, per recommendation.

Here's a shot of different parts at different stages of painting. Some awaiting a second coat of primer, some awaiting the acrylic paint, etc. My modest little factory.

I picked up replacement spokes with the set of rims I purchased. Obviously a good idea. Though I'll keep these on hand and see how well these can be cleaned up for a backup set. Always great to have backups with a vintage bike. As I started taking them off the rim, its clear they haven't been touched in a long, long time. All kinds of cracking noises, with lots of white power coming off as I removed the spokes.

Spargett
honda305.com Member

Post by Spargett » Fri Feb 27, 2009 2:21 am

I pulled the engine out. Decided why go 90% and not check the engine? If I did everything else, then reassembled the bike, I'd loose my mind just wondering if there was something in the engine, as well as hating how I didn't get a change to make it as clean as possible. I'm mulling over the possibility of painting the engine a grey, just to maximize cleanness since I don't have access to a large sandblaster. I was thinking of calling a few places to see if they could just sandblast it me. Does that sound crazy?

Anyway, it's pretty dirty right now, and the cam chain is preventing me from pulling it apart enough to get a good look inside. I think I need a tool to remove the master link. I have the Silver manuals, which I think mentioned the tool I'd be requiring.

Any tips for a first timer about to pop open the engine for the first time? I mostly just want to inspect the valves and pistons.

davomoto
honda305.com Member

Post by davomoto » Fri Feb 27, 2009 3:13 pm

Remove the top cover, and turn engine over with stator bolt until the master link appears. A pair of pliers will easily remove the clip, try not to drop it in the lower end. There are two bolts by the spark plug holes that must be removed. After that the head and cylinder can be removed. It's all laid out nicely in the Silver book. PM me if you get stuck, and I'll send you my phone number.

davomoto

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home