□ 
Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

1962 Superhawk Restoration: Here I go

Spargett
honda305.com Member

Post by Spargett » Mon Feb 09, 2009 10:09 pm

I picked up this guy today. 6" Bench Grinder with Gooseneck Lamp 1/2 HP, 3450 RPM. With these three guys: 6" Loose Cotton Buffing Wheel |6" Spiral Cotton Buffing Wheel | 6" Wire Wheel and a black and white polish compound.

I also went in half with a friend on this: 2.5 Liter Ultrasonic Cleaner

I'm eager to get everything setup and do some polishing! The ultrasonic cleaner is pretty cool. Nothing amazing though. Seems to just loosen things up a tad. I also suspect thats because it doesn't have the proper solution in it. Just some generic "detergent" from Harbor Freight that isn't even recommended for use with aluminum.

Spargett
honda305.com Member

Post by Spargett » Sat Feb 21, 2009 4:37 am

I got the front wheel off the bike tonight in preparation for the new rims/spokes and tires. This gives me a nice chance to polish the hubs up, as well as inspecting the drum brakes inside. Naturally I don't have the (what appears to be) 25mm socket to pull off the back tire. My set only goes to 23mm. I'll pick that up asap.

Inside of the drum brake hubs. Looks pretty grungy but not too bad. Should clean up rather easily from this side.

Here's an inside shot of the drum brakes. Seems pretty good to me. Any tips on cleaning or other maintenance I should do while I'm in here?

Last edited by Spargett on Sat Feb 21, 2009 6:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Spargett
honda305.com Member

Post by Spargett » Sat Feb 21, 2009 4:40 am

Charlie at Charlie's Place threw on a strip of tire tubing to help insulate the battery terminals from the seat's tubing when resting on top. I forgot to place the strip back on once before putting the seat on. Needless to say, sparks flew.

So I ordered the battery band that comes with the bike, which consists of a metal bracket that clamps under a hook on one side, then is screwed in on the other side. The only problem is that it doesn't fit with the rubber pad underneath. It seems to bend really bad if I try to force it over and down to screw in.

So does no one else have the problem with the seat's metal making contact with the battery terminals. Because it seems that the battery band only secures the battery down. Not any sort of real shielding on the contacts. Is this a flaw in the aftermarket seat?

Spargett
honda305.com Member

Post by Spargett » Sat Feb 21, 2009 4:43 am

I'm having a hard time finding a place to mount my bench grinder. There's a large heavy wooden dinner table that I'm using as a makeshift workbench. I pushed the table all the way against the wall, the secured the bench grinder to the table using C-clamps. That didn't work at all. The vibration was too much almost instantly.

I'm trying to come up with some sort of method to mounting this thing to something I can use. What do you guys usually use?

I'm really eager to get to polishing alot of parts with this.

e3steve
h305 Moderator

Post by e3steve » Sat Feb 21, 2009 5:37 am

So does no one else have the problem with the seat's metal making contact with the battery terminals. Because it seems that the battery band only secures the battery down. Not any sort of real shielding on the contacts. Is this a flaw in the aftermarket seat?
Nope, not here! It looks like your battery's wrong, especially if the clamp won't fit with the rubber cushion; the battery type you have is too tall.

That said, both my seats, OEM included, can catch the battery positive post if I'm not careful when sliding into place. I've stuck a 100mm-strip of gasket material on the bottom of the seat pan for now.

Spargett
honda305.com Member

Post by Spargett » Sat Feb 21, 2009 5:42 am

Interesting. Charlie from Charlie's Place installed that battery. I'll have to give him a ring on that one. It appears as if it'll clamp down alright without the rubber piece. Maybe I can recycle the tube and use some RTV sealant to attach it to the metal brace. Good idea on the lining the seat to avoid contact.
e3steve wrote:It looks like your battery's wrong, the battery type you have is too tall.

I've stuck a 100mm-strip of gasket material on the bottom of the seat pan for now.

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Sat Feb 21, 2009 7:41 am

That isn't the correct battery. I can see it is longer and thinner that a battery for a CB72/77 is when correct. What are the numbers on the battery? Sure looks like a CL72/77 battery to me. ..........lm

Spargett wrote:Interesting. Charlie from Charlie's Place installed that battery. I'll have to give him a ring on that one. It appears as if it'll clamp down alright without the rubber piece. Maybe I can recycle the tube and use some RTV sealant to attach it to the metal brace. Good idea on the lining the seat to avoid contact.
e3steve wrote:It looks like your battery's wrong, the battery type you have is too tall.

I've stuck a 100mm-strip of gasket material on the bottom of the seat pan for now.
RIDE IT DON'T HIDE IT!

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home