Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Kreem Sealant Removal

Fuel System: Gas (Petrol) tanks, Carburators
marzini
honda305.com Member

Post by marzini » Mon Feb 16, 2009 1:24 pm

I recently got a tank from 305 racer that is pretty nice inside, but I want to coat my tank anyway as a preventive measure.

Who knows how to work with muriatic acid when prepping the tank for Por-15? Could you please give directions in terms of effectiveness/safety? I have a gallon of it in our shop.

Thank you!

Fastwater
honda305.com Member

Post by Fastwater » Mon Feb 16, 2009 4:13 pm

I have found Muriatic acid to do a decent job on an uncoated tank. It is worthless on a tank that has a sealant like Kreem. Remember that NaHCO3 + HCl --> NaCl + H2O + CO2. So to neutralize a spill or excess you can poor baking soda and it basically creates Carbon Dioxide and salt water. It doesn't bring the Ph to 7 so still be careful. Seal the tank immediately after drying. The fumes are wicked so ventilate, ventilate, ventilate. They really sneak up on you. As well, I'm sure you'll remember from Chemistry to add acid to water and not vice versa.

marzini
honda305.com Member

Post by marzini » Mon Feb 16, 2009 9:12 pm

Fastwater, you get my vote for resident mad scientist— thank you for the chemistry background and practical safety information!

Fastwater
honda305.com Member

Post by Fastwater » Tue Feb 17, 2009 10:30 am

Bwahahaha! Thanks.
Seriously, does anyone have a champion solution for nuking Kreem/Por-15???

Spargett
honda305.com Member

Post by Spargett » Tue Feb 17, 2009 3:06 pm

I used the POR-STRIP which I ordered in a kit. It didn't get everything out so I used MEK (Methyl Ethyl Ketone) with a bunch of nuts and bolts (and slingshot pellets). I picked up the MEK at Ace Hardware. Apparently Kreem ships MEK for cleanup of it's product. I let it soak for over a week, while shaking periodically. I got almost all of it out, except for one spot in the back of the tank, so make sure when you shake it, you use motions to get the bolts in every spot within the tank. There's nothing more annoying than draining everything only to find you missed a few places.
Fastwater wrote:Bwahahaha! Thanks.
Seriously, does anyone have a champion solution for nuking Kreem/Por-15???

bigolsalmon
honda305.com Member

Kreem removal

Post by bigolsalmon » Mon Mar 23, 2009 7:51 pm

I just did a Kreem treatment on my old C200 tank. It was my first crack at it and I would say shoddy job. The instructions on Kreem say to soak the tank with Acetone to disolve Kreem sealant from the tank. Going to try it tonight.

-Bill

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home