□ 
Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

1962 Superhawk Restoration: Here I go

cknight
honda305.com Member

Post by cknight » Tue Feb 03, 2009 11:51 am

Unless I haven't been paying proper attention to the photos and captions, the right hand engine cover and kick starter assembly are not correct for a CB72/77. Regards, Chase

Gunner_CAF
honda305.com Member

Post by Gunner_CAF » Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:02 pm

Looking good!!

Gunner

Spargett
honda305.com Member

Re: chainguard color.

Post by Spargett » Wed Feb 04, 2009 1:23 am

I'm doing my best to keep the bike as original as I can. But I plan on riding this bike so I'll be meeting in the middle on a few things between stock and modern practicality. I saw the photos of LoudMouse helping work on some of your stuff. That must have been fun and educational. Your engine looks particularly nice. I'll admit that I'm very envious since I don't really have the resource to pull the engine and beadblast/paint it. The shot of the light catching the paint was coincidental ; ) I'd love to see some more shots of your progress.

Its been a long road considering this is my first attempt at anything like this. And I couldn't have done a fraction of what I have thus far without this forum. I'm sure I'll hit some roadblocks before its completed. Getting close though!
jleewebb wrote:Good on you for changing color of chain guard back to original. That'll make the purists happy. Can we presume you'll be making the tailight bracket silver and installing a "flipper" on the rear fender? Your pix are great, particularly the one with the light from garage door catching paint spray. Intentional, right? I guess we'll see who gets done first. I'd bet on you, I'm kinda pokey, but getting excited about getting all the pieces put together. Thanks for the inspiration. Lee
You sir are correct. The previous owner took the bike to a local mechanic (didn't know much about CB77's) and gave him the CL parts he bought online and said "make em fit". This is the joy I'm left with. I've encountered other forms of intelligence like this throughout the bike. Doing my best to fix things as I go.
cknight wrote:Unless I haven't been paying proper attention to the photos and captions, the right hand engine cover and kick starter assembly are not correct for a CB72/77.

Spargett
honda305.com Member

Post by Spargett » Wed Feb 04, 2009 1:25 am

I thought I was going to be able to prolong getting the tank repainted, even though there was some damage from trying to remove the rust inside. That was until today when I set it down to open the garage door and it decided to roll down the entire driveway into the sidewalk.

Hence, time for new paint. The stripper that's on there is pretty mediocre stuff. It was highly recommended by an employee at Ace Hardware. Its a gel, which makes it very difficult to apply because it comes out more like globs of jelly. Then dries very quickly causing the slightly bubbled paint to re-harden. I'm going to pick up a different hardcore stripper asap. Any recommendations?

Here's a shot of the bike propped up and tied down, ready to have the tires removed. I have a set of new rims/spokes and rear shocks on the way from Singapore right now (I imagine on a boat in the Pacific since shipping times are estimated at 3-4 weeks). As soon as the tires come off I'll be cleaning and polishing the hubs (badly needed), as well as cleaning out the brakes.

The largest socket I have in my tool set is a 21mm, and it appears that the rear and front axle nut is 22-24mm. Hopefully a friend can swing by with one soon enough. For now I was able to remove the entire rear swing arm, though the tire is still attached ; )

(the reason the headlight is taped is because the screws are upstairs being cleaned and polished.

davomoto
honda305.com Member

Post by davomoto » Wed Feb 04, 2009 7:58 am

Aircraft stripper, available at Kragen auto parts works excellent, and comes in a spray can so it's easy to apply. Aroung $8, so not cheap, but very effective.

davomoto

jleewebb
honda305.com Member

stripper

Post by jleewebb » Wed Feb 04, 2009 9:50 am

This is the stuff! Klean-Strip Aircraft Remover. I got it at store where I bought my paint, a DuPont distributor. Not cheap at $10.55 but it actually gets the clear-coat off the hubs and other polished aluminum, which none of the other three strippers I used on painted parts would do. I'm too chicken and in too much of a hurry to get bike rideable to mess with re-spoking the wheels so I'm just going over rims with steel wool and motor oil (LM's suggestion) which gets off about 80% of rust and doesn't look bad from a few few feet away. I have to keep telling myself this is a rider, not a show bike, it doesn't have to be perfect. Leave some fun for the next guy in 15 or 20 years. (Assuming I'm ready to hang it up when I turn 85.)

Attn. experts: should I clear coat those rims when done to prevent future rust?

Thanks, Lee
Attachments
Good stuff.
Good stuff.

cknight
honda305.com Member

Post by cknight » Wed Feb 04, 2009 10:37 am

Great work, Scott. Just didn't want you to try to use the rearward kick starter. That sudden stop when it hits the footpeg can be a real attention getter! Now I can appreciate your concerns with having the electric starter in good working order. Regards, Chase

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home