Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Kreem Sealant Removal

Fuel System: Gas (Petrol) tanks, Carburators
Spargett
honda305.com Member

Kreem Sealant Removal

Post by Spargett » Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:42 pm

So I've been repairing my tank (removing shoddy kreem job, treating rust, etc.). I purchased the Por-15 repair kit from from Classic Honda Restoration. The POR-15 stripper, which was recommend by Classic Honda Restoration was pretty much worthless and a waste of money and time. I followed the directions to a "T". I tried sticking a wire brush down in there to see how loose the pieces of Kreem were. They're on there pretty solid still.

I was wondering what other options I have to stripping this sealant in here. I just want it out so I can get the rust out effectively and do a better job of re-sealing the tank than the last guy. I've think I've heard muriatic acid, acetone, and MEK? as something people have used, but I clearly need something really effective. I have the Metal Ready™ and an assortment of BB's, slingshot ammo, and bolts ready to shake to all hell once I get this sealant out.

Thanks in advance.

P.S. The tank sealer came with a 4" foam brush. Do they really expect you to stick that through the gas cap hole and paint the inside of a tank with 4"?
Attachments
Majority of Kreem sealant remains.

joeweir1
honda305.com Member

Post by joeweir1 » Fri Jan 30, 2009 10:05 pm

I did two CA77 tanks when I thru my bike together with the POR 15 system, but they only needed the rust removed.I actually sandblasted the inside of the tanks first to get alot of the rust out which worked pretty well for what I could get the nozzle at.Then I used the Por kit and it worked fine.I am not sure what you could use to get the old Kreem out.I also had gathered some of those round stones or whatever they are called from a local RR Bed and and put them in the tank to knock rust loose.Muriatic will eat at the rust also.You may want to contact a Radiator shop to see if they could dip it to get the Kreem out if no one else here nows how.

slopokecr
honda305.com Member

Post by slopokecr » Sat Jan 31, 2009 2:47 am

I am curious about sandblasting INSIDE the tank (While not messing with the outside of the tank which is in good condition). This is an option I am considering and would like to hear from others who have gone this route.
Thanks, Kent

Spargett
honda305.com Member

Post by Spargett » Sat Jan 31, 2009 6:26 am

I picked up two quarts of MEK, which I've heard works pretty well for getting Kreem out. And I can confirm, that after about a week of soaking with regular shaking, its pretty much all out. I had a slight spill which cause some damage to the tank's paint. But I planned on repainting the shoddy job someone else did anyway.

Unfortunately the gas cap isn't faring so well amidst the chemical baths this thing has been through. Especially the Kreem liner, which turned into a thin soup after the week of bathing in MEK. When it made contact with the cap it dried into a thin plastic-y mess all over the poor cap and it's gasket.

I've gotta say what a pain this has been trying to remove this stuff and all the rust underneath. Whoever did the "job" before me should be ashamed of themselves.

joeweir1
honda305.com Member

Post by joeweir1 » Sat Jan 31, 2009 8:20 am

I am glad I was repainting the tanks and did not have to worry about keeping an original paint job clean of any solvents or tank liner.The gas caps are easily replaced or you can get the new ones which are inexpensive from Honda alot of people are using that sit alittle higher and easier to take off.

3BeanCrispy
honda305.com Member

Post by 3BeanCrispy » Sun Feb 15, 2009 4:35 pm

theres a lesson hidden inside here .... always do the inside of the tank before the outside ! sounds silly to you veterans, i know, but could be an easy mistake for a n00b to make ! cheers

Spargett
honda305.com Member

Post by Spargett » Sun Feb 15, 2009 4:52 pm

I'm sure there's plenty of rusted tanks out there with good paint though. There's just really zero room for error in that department.
3BeanCrispy wrote:theres a lesson hidden inside here .... always do the inside of the tank before the outside ! sounds silly to you veterans, i know, but could be an easy mistake for a n00b to make ! cheers

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home