Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

transmition problems please help!

Clutch, Transmission, Drive Chain, Sprockets
cooper
honda305.com Member

transmition problems please help!

Post by cooper » Mon Jan 26, 2009 3:12 pm

I'm pretty new to all of this so please bare with me while I completely butcher the technical names of these parts :)

I'm rebuilding a 65 cb77. I've take the whole motor apart cleaned everything and started putting everything back together. upon tear down I made sure to put everything in ziplock baggies and label them so that nothing went missing or damaged.

SO, I spent all day on Saturday putting the drive shaft and kick-start shaft together. the gear shift forks and drum stayed in the case due to the un-budging bolts that hold it in place.(I dont think the issue is there because I didn't touch them). so I got the two shafts in place, all the gears seem to move smooth, and I can spin the drum to shift through what seems like all the gears without any hangups. I think that I am good and put the cases together and bolt it down. still fine.

I proceed to put the gear shift components back together just as the book explains. I screw in the Kick stop bolt making sure not to hit the plate and now there is a load knocking when the gears spin. I spin the kick gears in one direction and I get the clicking from the disc, but when they go in the opposite direction I get a very load unsettling knocking. this only happens when the stop is in.

so upon further investigation I notice that the kick shaft spins with the main drive shaft in all gears!? This makes me think that everything is NOT in right.

I did notice that the previous owner cranked down the stop onto the kick plate and bent it VERY slightly. The evidence is in the scrapping along the plate from the bolt.

I'm going to try and work on the bike tonight. I'll take a few photos of the gear placement. In the meantime any info would be great.

thanks
coop

davomoto
honda305.com Member

Post by davomoto » Mon Jan 26, 2009 3:51 pm

Rotate the kick shaft forward until it locks, sort of, into place. Hold it there while spinning the trans, and noises should disappear. When the right sidecvover is installed, the kickstart spring will hold the shaft in this position.

davomoto

cooper
honda305.com Member

Post by cooper » Mon Jan 26, 2009 4:34 pm

davomoto wrote:Rotate the kick shaft forward until it locks, sort of, into place. Hold it there while spinning the trans, and noises should disappear. When the right sidecvover is installed, the kickstart spring will hold the shaft in this position.

davomoto
I'll give that a try tonight thanks! However I'm a little perplexed about the fact that the kick-shaft spins with the main-shaft... basically, that part of the shaft that holds the kick-peddle will spin when spinning the main shaft and wont stop just by holding it... does that make sense?

davomoto
honda305.com Member

Post by davomoto » Mon Jan 26, 2009 4:39 pm

That does not sound right! You may be going back in to figure out where you went wrong. Try what I suggested, with the stopper bolt installed correctly.

davomoto

cooper
honda305.com Member

Post by cooper » Mon Jan 26, 2009 4:51 pm

AAHHH!! Now I cant concentrate on my job, all I want to do is go home and work on my motor!

thanks for the suggestions, I'll see if I cant figure it out tonight.

Thanks!

cooper
honda305.com Member

Post by cooper » Mon Jan 26, 2009 11:27 pm

ok... I think I understand now. I also think I figured out what is going on with the motor.

I got home and i was determined to figure out how all the shafts work and what all the pieces are for. the parts that are giving me the trouble are the kick starter spindle, the spindle pole, and now to find out the crank CASE.

It looks as if in order for the spindle to disengage the spindle pole must be pushed down so that it will let go of the gear. I couldnt figure out why this wasnt happening until I took a closer look at everything and tried to understand what it was all for.

seems that there is a small lip molded into the lower crank casing that is designed to disengage the spindle pole... Mine is busted off! There is a small break in the casing on the inside just off of the main shaft bearing web. Looks like something was there and now is busted off.

Anyway, does this sound right? or is it something else I am missing. It seems to me that that pole needs to be disengaged so that the main shaft will spin freely.

I have a photo of the broken crank case but of course I cant find the cable the connects the camera to the computer AHHHHHH! its not my night.

I'm off to have a beer and try and forget about the little shit that sold me the bike. would have been nice to know about that little gem!

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Tue Jan 27, 2009 8:44 am

SPINDLE!!!!!!!!!!!
I don't have a clue as to what ya are working with.
The spindle on the kick shaft is held in place with a knock pin if that is what ya mean. .....lm
cooper wrote:ok... I think I understand now. I also think I figured out what is going on with the motor.

I got home and i was determined to figure out how all the shafts work and what all the pieces are for. the parts that are giving me the trouble are the kick starter spindle, the spindle pole, and now to find out the crank CASE.

It looks as if in order for the spindle to disengage the spindle pole must be pushed down so that it will let go of the gear. I couldnt figure out why this wasnt happening until I took a closer look at everything and tried to understand what it was all for.

seems that there is a small lip molded into the lower crank casing that is designed to disengage the spindle pole... Mine is busted off! There is a small break in the casing on the inside just off of the main shaft bearing web. Looks like something was there and now is busted off.

Anyway, does this sound right? or is it something else I am missing. It seems to me that that pole needs to be disengaged so that the main shaft will spin freely.

I have a photo of the broken crank case but of course I cant find the cable the connects the camera to the computer AHHHHHH! its not my night.

I'm off to have a beer and try and forget about the little shit that sold me the bike. would have been nice to know about that little gem!
RIDE IT DON'T HIDE IT!

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home