Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Japan Meets Britain

CYP77 - Police | Race Bikes | Choppers, Bobbers and Mods
Vince Lupo
honda305.com Member

Post by Vince Lupo » Mon Jan 19, 2009 6:33 pm

Hey nothing wrong with a Canadian flag (as a Canadian, I'm slightly biased). Maybe you could do a sticker in the shape of the Salton Sea (though that's CA and not UT)? I think there's probably as many dead gulls there....

Another thought might be a play on the 'Rising Sun'? Maybe have the dead gull in the middle of the red circle?

Gun
honda305.com Member

Post by Gun » Tue Jan 20, 2009 8:55 pm

yeah i htought about the imperial japanese flag when i slapped the great salt lake in the center in red.
maybe do a white seagull with a black X and then rays off of the lake. i'll play around with it.
'65 CB77
'66 CB450k0
'93 HD FXR

Vince Lupo
honda305.com Member

Post by Vince Lupo » Mon Mar 09, 2009 5:24 pm

Trying to solve a problem that I initially didn't know I had.....

When I bought the bike five years ago, both the front brake cable and speedo cable were zip tied onto the fender stays. I asked my mechanics to see if they could work up a suitable 'fix' for this zip tie situation. Little did I know at the time that the fender stays were supposed to have the metal guides for the two cables (for some reason they were either broken off, or removed by the previous owner - don't ask me why). I then had all the custom paint work done, THEN I discovered what the stays were supposed to have! So, I lived with my mechanics' fix for the next few years, and gradually grew to dislike the manner in which the cables were routed (the speedo cable in particular, which was routed on the outside of the fender stay). If you look at the photo on the bottom of page 7, you'll see what it looked like.

So, rather than go through the time and expense of having the fender and stays done the 'right' way, I came up with my own solution which I am much more pleased with. Plus, it only cost me the price of two plastic Honda cable guides and I did it myself. I also have a grey pair of rubber cable guides, but I like the black ones for now.

The guide on the stay is actually a speedo cable guide that has been re-purposed. It's also clamped on in such a way that it can be easily removed. Much nicer, I think, than the way it was.

I'd love to have the cables routed the 'proper' way with the 'proper' guides, but finances dictate that this be the solution for now. Plus I did it myself, which is a big deal!
Attachments
Grommet2.jpg
Last edited by Vince Lupo on Mon Mar 09, 2009 5:42 pm, edited 8 times in total.

Vince Lupo
honda305.com Member

Post by Vince Lupo » Mon Mar 09, 2009 5:24 pm

Another view, which I hope doesn't look too horrid....
Attachments
Grommet1.jpg

bill440cars
honda305.com Member

Post by bill440cars » Mon Mar 09, 2009 7:38 pm

Vince, I don't hear anybody coming up with a better idea that you have already completed. Seems to me that you've taken the initiative and gotten things under control quite well. Congratulations on that!

Take care, Bill

Vince Lupo
honda305.com Member

Post by Vince Lupo » Tue Mar 10, 2009 1:12 am

Thanks Bill -- I like to think that anything I'm able to do on my own without having to always run to my mechanic is a major accomplishment for me. As well, I didn't want to be drilling a hole in the stay to attach something with a screw, nor was I willing to stomach having something professionally welded and repainted. So this seemed to be the only solution I could come up with that was fairly discreet (and easily removable!), and I think the black cable guides look fine too. We'll see if I'm still feeling the same way about them a year from now!
Attachments
Grommet4.jpg

Vince Lupo
honda305.com Member

Post by Vince Lupo » Wed Apr 29, 2009 3:55 pm

Thought I'd do a few detail photos of the beast.

Just realized that I've owned the bike for 5 years, and have put 12,750 miles on it in that time. It's now the only bike I have, and am actually liking it that way.

I'm riding back out to Mid-Ohio at the end of July with a few friends on their old Hondas -- looking forward to another road trip!

Close-up of Lee Hulteng's hand painted 'Special'

A different view of the Honda badge

My favourite view

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home