Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Sticking Throttle

Fuel System: Gas (Petrol) tanks, Carburators
Tom W.
honda305.com Member

Sticking Throttle

Post by Tom W. » Fri Sep 09, 2005 10:24 am

I've gone over both front and rear brakes and I think I'm almost ready for the first ride! However the sticking throttle is making me nervous.<br /><br />I've taken the carburetor slides out. Only the slides but have left the carbs on the motor. Sprayed both it and the carbs with cleaner. Wiped the outside of the slides and the bore of the carbs down real good so the slides will just fall down into the carbs. I've taken the springs out and streched them a bit so they have a bit more umph. I've take the throttle grip apart and lightly greased everything with white lithium. The throttle cables are old but I dripped light oil down the housings. But after all this the throttle still sticks. If I open the throttle full and let go, it'll return slowly and never all the way back.<br /><br />It seems like the cable has the most drag. Do new throttle cables slide much easier? Or should I try to find stiffer springs?<br /><br />Thanks,<br />Tom

kustommusic
honda305.com Member

Re: Sticking Throttle

Post by kustommusic » Fri Sep 09, 2005 4:51 pm

Tom, did you also look at the throttle tube that turns on the handlebar? and the mechinism that turns inside the housing on the handlebar? I believe if I suspected the cable and housing,I would seperate it where it splits and see how each half works independantly. Iv'e run into cars with throttle cables that are perfect looking but have worn a groove into the inside of the housing and caused them to stick,mabey thats it. Just a guess,,,,,,,Steve Greer

Tom W.
honda305.com Member

Re: Sticking Throttle

Post by Tom W. » Sun Oct 02, 2005 11:15 pm

I found some aftermarket throttle cables. These have a plastic body at the 1 to 2 split. I'll make a report after I install them (I'll probably ride the bike until the tank is empty).<br /><br />Tom

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home