Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Finding the year ...anyone have the Honda Identification Gui

GILLIS
honda305.com Member

Finding the year ...anyone have the Honda Identification Gui

Post by GILLIS » Fri Sep 09, 2005 1:21 am

I went to the Honda site and it said to find the model year of my bike ..&quot; is to use American Honda's Motorcycle Identification Guide. This 524-page soft-cover book has photos, model years, color listings, selected technical information and Vehicle Identification Number ranges for every Honda Motorcycle, Scooter, Moped, ATC, FL and ATV sold in the United States by American Honda from 1959 through 2000. This comprehensive book, Part Number 2GMAS00AH, is available through your Honda Dealer at a suggested retail price of $28.95 or can be ordered from Helm Inc. at (888) 292-5393 or their Web site: www.helminc.com. &quot;<br /><br />I just have one little ol bike. Is there anyone out there that has this book and could look up my bike and tell me what year it is? Please. The vin number is: CA77E 1012579. I would really be grateful and it would save me nearly $30 which I would like to put into actually rennovating my late husband's bike. But just finding out what it is I have, since I don't have the title and I am still doing work on that, having a year would be a big big help. Thanks. - Ellen

RJag
honda305.com Member

Re: Finding the year ...anyone have the Honda Identification

Post by RJag » Fri Sep 09, 2005 7:54 am

Is this number the number off of the engine block?<br /><br />There should be another number on the frame. Located by the left side footpeg on the swing arm support bracket. (look just behind the left footpeg. <br /><br />If this bike has been around a while (30+ years) the engine may not be original so the date of manufacture for the engine may not reflect the year of the bike. <br /><br />Because you have a seven digit number, honda started using 7 digit numbers in 1965. As far as consecutive numbering goes your's is fairly high. I would guess 66 or 67. <br /><br />A lot of times these bikes were titled as a model for the year they were sold in rather than the year they were produced. This can further complicate trying to find out the year of the bike. Performing a search using both numbers may bring up an old title that could place it's year anywhere from 66 to 68.<br /><br />You might take your numbers to a local honda shop and see if they will look them up for you. <br /><br />Good Luck<br /><br />Rick

piecutter
honda305.com Member

Post by piecutter » Fri Sep 09, 2005 11:35 am

The Honda Identification manual is useful only to a certain degree. There are 2 listings for the bike: 1960-63 and 1963-69.<br />The vin range seperation is not stated. The only other indicator that Honda gives is that the shape of the fuel tank changed to the more rounded shape of the front of the tank sometime during 63. I'm afraid you are going to need a CA77 expert. Sorry, the only ones I know are self proclaimed!<br />

Pigeonalley
honda305.com Member

Post by Pigeonalley » Fri Sep 09, 2005 5:59 pm

I would lean more to a 66. See if the tag is still on the wiring harness under the tank just above the carburetor.<br /><br />Let us know what you find.<br /><br />Rob<br />
Old bikes like old men, sometimes you have to kick start them

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home