□ 
Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

1962 Superhawk Restoration: Here I go

CliffC
honda305.com Member

Post by CliffC » Thu Jan 08, 2009 12:57 am

Scott, a few of the later CB's came with chrome fenders, side panels and I would assume the crankcase cover. I have only heard about the chrome bikes and seen pictures but never actually seen one in person. CliffC

Spargett
honda305.com Member

Post by Spargett » Thu Jan 08, 2009 12:59 am

Thanks Cliff. Does anyone know how hard it would be to strip (if needed) and paint the chrome? I just feel the chrome would be way out of place up there.
CliffC wrote:Scott, a few of the later CB's came with chrome fenders, side panels and I would assume the crankcase cover. I have only heard about the chrome bikes and seen pictures but never actually seen one in person. CliffC

Spargett
honda305.com Member

Post by Spargett » Wed Jan 14, 2009 5:49 am

UPDATE:

RIMS/TIRES: Just wanted to let you know a few things I'm about ready to do. I've ordered the correct rear shocks ($165), which are on their way from Singapore (see older posts in thread). I'm now about to order a set of rims and spokes as well. Mine are severely pitted and I feel these will drastically improve the overall look of the bike. I'd like to have a new set of quality tires ordered at the time to install instead of the Cheng Shins that I have now.

Do you think it'd be better for me to invest in the bead breakers, truing stations, etc. and time to do this myself or take it to a shop and have them throw them on? Especially considering how often one changes the rims and tires on a bike.

SANDBLASTING: A good friend of mine has offered to let me sandblast some parts with his sandblaster. This is especially awesome because I live in downtown Sacramento, CA and don't have a car. I'll have access to a car to bring these parts over (outer city limits) for just one day and get alot of sandblasting that I needed done. I have an entire box just full of things in preparation. So excited. I've been watching the amazing effects of this process all over the forum and now I get a change to apply that to my bike.

PARTS ORDER: I just placed a rather large order of misc parts from Western Hills Honda. I was shocked by the inventory they have. And I'll be honest, I'm a little skeptical that they'll have everything I placed an order for. But this is definitely one time where I hope I'm very wrong. They had the upper crankcase cover (90706-268-000) in stock for only $16.44. I also order the other associated parts along with it for a total of around $25. I ordered a much needed replacement screw from Stainless Cycle (thanks Hahnda). The parts manual has the screw I needed listed as a 6x115 which goes in over the oil filter cover on the left crankcase. They had 6x110 and 6x120, so I ordered both since they're only $1.50 each. My long awaited clutch spring (which was missing when I removed the crankcase) just came in the mail from Ohio Cycle, which means after I sandblast and paint everything, I can start the assembly process soon. So excited.

Does anyone know what size bolt would fit where the mirrors usually go? Seeing as how I'm using bar end mirrors, it'd be great to plug those holes with something.
Last edited by Spargett on Wed Jan 14, 2009 6:08 am, edited 3 times in total.

Spargett
honda305.com Member

Post by Spargett » Wed Jan 14, 2009 5:59 am

TANK REPAIR:

I've started the Por-15 repair kit I ordered from Classic Honda Restoration. I have to say, I'm not impressed with the stripper's ability to remove the previous (and terrible) job of the Kreem sealer. There's still a good amount I'm going to have to strip and remove through other means. I picked up a combination of BB's and Sling Shot rounds to shake around with the Metal Ready solvent and break free any rust and debris. I think I'll get a chance to finish this up day after tomorrow.

P.S. Just a warning. The POR-15 stripper has the sour odor of vomit. Make sure where ever you're working is well ventilated. If the health concern isn't enough for you... hopefully the smell will be.

OIL FILTER CLEANING:

Unfortunately I didn't take a before shot. But the filter had quite a bit of gunk inside. Mostly a small amount of sludge where the bottom when the filter is installed. There was also the corroded and broken down remnants of the old o-ring, (which has cracked apart) that was really caked into the first lip inside where the gasket rests. That took quite a while to remove. Upon dissection, I noticed that I was missing the rather critical washer (Part Number: 15493-259-000). Of which I have placed an order for both the o-ring and the washer from Western Hills Honda. I'll have to keep my fingers crossed that everything I ordered comes through.

I received Bill Silvers manuals as well today. Full of lots of pragmatic information. A really great resource.

Can anyone explain to me how these oil filers actually filter the oil? Looking at it, I don't really see how it would filter anything.

Spargett
honda305.com Member

Post by Spargett » Wed Jan 14, 2009 6:43 am

Here's the original ignition coil (right side). In much need of a proper cleaning. Its amazing to think that this electrical part is 47 years old. You'll see the new condenser installed. Sorry for the poor quality photo, my iPhone was all that was around.

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Wed Jan 14, 2009 7:13 am

The filter removes the particles you removed (when you cleaned the filter) by spinning the oil as it passes through it. ................lm

Spargett wrote:UPDATE:

RIMS/TIRES: Just wanted to let you know a few things I'm about ready to do. I've ordered the correct rear shocks ($165), which are on their way from Singapore (see older posts in thread). I'm now about to order a set of rims and spokes as well. Mine are severely pitted and I feel these will drastically improve the overall look of the bike. I'd like to have a new set of quality tires ordered at the time to install instead of the Cheng Shins that I have now.

Do you think it'd be better for me to invest in the bead breakers, truing stations, etc. and time to do this myself or take it to a shop and have them throw them on? Especially considering how often one changes the rims and tires on a bike.

SANDBLASTING: A good friend of mine has offered to let me sandblast some parts with his sandblaster. This is especially awesome because I live in downtown Sacramento, CA and don't have a car. I'll have access to a car to bring these parts over (outer city limits) for just one day and get alot of sandblasting that I needed done. I have an entire box just full of things in preparation. So excited. I've been watching the amazing effects of this process all over the forum and now I get a change to apply that to my bike.

PARTS ORDER: I just placed a rather large order of misc parts from Western Hills Honda. I was shocked by the inventory they have. And I'll be honest, I'm a little skeptical that they'll have everything I placed an order for. But this is definitely one time where I hope I'm very wrong. They had the upper crankcase cover (90706-268-000) in stock for only $16.44. I also order the other associated parts along with it for a total of around $25. I ordered a much needed replacement screw from Stainless Cycle (thanks Hahnda). The parts manual has the screw I needed listed as a 6x115 which goes in over the oil filter cover on the left crankcase. They had 6x110 and 6x120, so I ordered both since they're only $1.50 each. My long awaited clutch spring (which was missing when I removed the crankcase) just came in the mail from Ohio Cycle, which means after I sandblast and paint everything, I can start the assembly process soon. So excited.

Does anyone know what size bolt would fit where the mirrors usually go? Seeing as how I'm using bar end mirrors, it'd be great to plug those holes with something.
RIDE IT DON'T HIDE IT!

davomoto
honda305.com Member

Post by davomoto » Wed Jan 14, 2009 3:13 pm

Mirror holes are 8mm x 1.25 thread. I'd only invest in a truing stand if I was planning on doing lots of wheels. Tire irons are always a good thing to have around, I prefer the motion pro spoons, about 12 inches long, for avoiding piching the tubes! I'm in Marin, not too far away, and I do wheels for $50 each. Without a car, this probably won't work for you.

davomoto

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home