□ 
Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

1962 Superhawk Restoration: Here I go

davomoto
honda305.com Member

Post by davomoto » Mon Jan 05, 2009 8:37 pm

Looks like all of the ones I've had. I once tried to shim the starter motor out, just a little, and the chain was way too tight.

davomoto

Gunner_CAF
honda305.com Member

Post by Gunner_CAF » Mon Jan 05, 2009 9:28 pm

I have some insulation missing from the stator coil, that looks like a good solution!

Gunner

Hahnda
honda305.com Member

Post by Hahnda » Mon Jan 05, 2009 10:28 pm

With stuck screws like that I just break out the drill. Use a drill slightly smaller than the diameter of the screw and drill down a ways. The use a larger bit. Head pops right off. The screw can then usually be turned out by hand once the cover is off.

The screw set you were eying up is just a generic set I think. I don't think that it includes all the sizes and lengths that you would need.

Stainless Cycle sells individual fasteners. http://www.stainlesscycle.com/catalog/i ... Path=22_30
I've been able to pick some up at the local hardware store but many times they don't have the longer ones. Fastenal stores also carry what you need but they usually sell bulk and don't like to break up a box. Hate to buy 100 when you only need 2.

jleewebb
honda305.com Member

Post by jleewebb » Tue Jan 06, 2009 12:04 am

Impact driver is an essential tool, suprising you got as far as you have without one. I got a cheap one (under $10) at Harbor Freight that did the job for me. I did buy a separate bit for it since ones that came with tool looked kindda cheesy.

Loudo
honda305.com Member

Impact driver

Post by Loudo » Tue Jan 06, 2009 1:29 am

The guy I bought my '63 CB77 from was a real good guy and noting my inexperience with major motorcycle repairs he gave me all kinds of advice regarding what I was up against restoring this bike. He suggested strongly that I get an impact driver. Now, having said that, he cautioned me that it's easy to get carried away and end up breaking something inadvertantly. He especially pointed out the crankcase covers and cautioned me that if you whack the screws at the edge of these covers you can crack them because the metal is thin and you're at the edge. He advised using a regular screwdriver with assistance from Vise-Grips on the screwdriver shaft for these situations.

Others may agree with this advice, or disagree, they'd know better than me as I'm just passing on what this experienced guy said.

Spargett
honda305.com Member

Post by Spargett » Wed Jan 07, 2009 1:39 am

Wow, great resources. I've been replacing what I can with a set of allen head screws I picked up online, but there's a few missing. Specifically the 6x115 for the clutch crankcase. I see they have a 6x110 & 6x120. Considering its only a few bucks, I can pick up both. I know the allen head screws aren't historically accurate, but with the amount of stripped screws and nuts I've encountered on this bike, there's nothing more enticing than doing everything to avoid that issue.
Hahnda wrote:Stainless Cycle sells individual fasteners. http://www.stainlesscycle.com/catalog/i ... Path=22_30
Last edited by Spargett on Wed Jan 07, 2009 2:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Spargett
honda305.com Member

Post by Spargett » Wed Jan 07, 2009 2:17 am

SCREW:

After a weeks worth of Liquid Wrench, screwing, hammering, and attempted extraction, the screw finally comes loose with the vice grips.

Here's the lil' bastard in the shadow of defeat.

I was also able to remove an offending nut that was keeping the shift linkage from coming off to remove the crankcase using the same pair of vice grips. I had to literally sink the teeth in pretty deep, destroying the nut. I was just glad to get it off.

It appears the threads on the shaft that the kick starter knuckle clamps onto are slightly damaged. Getting the knuckle off the thread was very difficult.

CLUTCH:

Now that I am able to get to my clutch, it looks like someone had recently replaced the gasket in here, but I'm going to go ahead and re-replace it with an even newer gasket from the set I have. Why not right?

Everything else looked pretty good with the clutch as far as I could tell.

I was wondering if there's any maintenance that could be done on the oil filter, or if it should just be replaced, and if there is a stock of those generally available.

HEADERS:

I pulled off my headers and exhaust pipes. The headers have certainly seen some road time due to the amount of nicks in the underbody. I degreased the outside and used #000 steel wool to remove the rust that was starting to form in the small pits, as well as cleaning off the soot collected at the ends.

There's quite a mess inside as well. How you go about cleaning these out? Or is that something I shouldn't worry about?

STARTER:

I've pulled off my starter and associated side covers in preparation for some much needed painting. I've started sanding with 180/320 grit sandpaper. But there seems like a ton of work to do. Is there any maintenance I can do on the starter while I have it off?

SHIFT LINKAGE: 305 Dream?

I think I remember hearing Charlie from Charlie's Place say that the shift linkage is for a Dream from his original once over (he spoke very quickly while I was new to the bike), which would make sense considering the previous owner liked to mash any parts that had 305 in the title. If so, does this present any compatibility issues?

Last edited by Spargett on Fri Mar 13, 2009 6:06 am, edited 2 times in total.

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home