Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

1962 Superhawk Restoration: Here I go

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Mon Jan 05, 2009 7:35 am

The chain is OK. ..........lm

Spargett wrote:I pulled off my starter chain cover. The chain seems really loose to me, which has me rather concerned. How does it look to you? I don't really have any perspective on what's "normal".

RIDE IT DON'T HIDE IT!

jleewebb
honda305.com Member

Post by jleewebb » Mon Jan 05, 2009 11:20 am

re bad screw, you might be able to get hold of shoulder with small (5-1/2") vise grips and turn it. LM's method will work for him, but for a less skilled mechanic (me for example) it might make things worse.

re rear brake cable, yeah, replacements i've seen available are not the same. Lack of grease fitting makes it harder to lube than other cables. If anybody's got a better suggestion, please speak up, I need one too.

Thanks, Lee

davomoto
honda305.com Member

Post by davomoto » Mon Jan 05, 2009 2:48 pm

If you have a good center punch, dimple the shoulder of screw, and slowly hit and angle the center punch. This trick works every time for me.

davomoto

Fastwater
honda305.com Member

RE stripped crank case bolts

Post by Fastwater » Mon Jan 05, 2009 5:00 pm

I've had a lot of luck with a good impact screw driver. Work at it a few times until you get the hang of it. You'll usually need it for the crankcase bolts the first time you try and break them loose.

Good luck.

Spargett
honda305.com Member

Post by Spargett » Mon Jan 05, 2009 7:48 pm

Thanks for all the tips guys. I like the idea of the impact screwdriver. The theory sounds most efficient. I was also thinking of possibly cutting off the tops of each screw head, to make it more of a bolt. That way I can get the best grip on it. This is of course, a last resort.

Any thoughts on the starter chain looking loose? I don't really have any point of reference on what is "normal".

Thanks again for all the feedback and ideas. Much more in the works.

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Mon Jan 05, 2009 8:33 pm

I said the chain is OK. ...............lm

Spargett wrote:Thanks for all the tips guys. I like the idea of the impact screwdriver. The theory sounds most efficient. I was also thinking of possibly cutting off the tops of each screw head, to make it more of a bolt. That way I can get the best grip on it. This is of course, a last resort.

Any thoughts on the starter chain looking loose? I don't really have any point of reference on what is "normal".

Thanks again for all the feedback and ideas. Much more in the works.
RIDE IT DON'T HIDE IT!

Spargett
honda305.com Member

Post by Spargett » Mon Jan 05, 2009 8:36 pm

Oops, you sure did. Apologies, don't know how I missed that ; )
LOUD MOUSE wrote:I said the chain is OK. ...............lm

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home