□ 
Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

1962 Superhawk Restoration: Here I go

Spargett
honda305.com Member

Post by Spargett » Sat Dec 20, 2008 4:14 am

Just picked up a few misc. parts I needed off of eBay.

HONDA CB72 CL72 CB77 CL77 Superhawk Dream NOS Taillight

My current tail light is cracked, with the some of the casing being scratched and chipped in a few spots. It doesn't look too bad, but detail is everything to me, and for a minimal investment... why not?

HONDA CB77 305 SUPERHAWK TACH CABLE ALL LOW BAR YEARS

Hopefully this will fix my tachometer problem.
Spargett wrote:P.S. On an unrelated note, my tach/speedometer started making a whining noise. Then a few minutes later the whining became more consistent and the tach needle started jumping all over the place (1,000 - 8,000 then back down and up), even though the idle remained consistent in reality. From what I hear this might have something to do with lubrication/cable? I can prob get a video of this if anyone needs to see it. Always something right?
Stainless 60pc Bolt Set Honda CB72 CB77

The current screws on my bike are in really bad condition. Looks like some people just went nuts on the poor things. Almost half of them are the verge of being stripped beyond use. I really wanted this set: HONDA CB72 CB77 SUPERHAWK 305 CL77 77 SCREW BIG SET because of some of the nuts included. But $25 to ship some screws? No way.

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Sat Dec 20, 2008 8:05 am

The tail light is AM and be sure to lube the Tach Cable with white grease. ..........lm
Spargett wrote:Just picked up a few misc. parts I needed off of eBay.

HONDA CB72 CL72 CB77 CL77 Superhawk Dream NOS Taillight

My current tail light is cracked, with the some of the casing being scratched and chipped in a few spots. It doesn't look too bad, but detail is everything to me, and for a minimal investment... why not?

HONDA CB77 305 SUPERHAWK TACH CABLE ALL LOW BAR YEARS

Hopefully this will fix my tachometer problem.
Spargett wrote:P.S. On an unrelated note, my tach/speedometer started making a whining noise. Then a few minutes later the whining became more consistent and the tach needle started jumping all over the place (1,000 - 8,000 then back down and up), even though the idle remained consistent in reality. From what I hear this might have something to do with lubrication/cable? I can prob get a video of this if anyone needs to see it. Always something right?
Stainless 60pc Bolt Set Honda CB72 CB77

on the poor things. Almost half of them are the verge of being stripped beyond use. I really wanted this set: HONDA CB72 CB77 SUPERHAWK 305 CL77 77 SCREW BIG SET because of some of the nuts included. But $25 to ship some screws? No way.
RIDE IT DON'T HIDE IT!

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Sat Dec 20, 2008 8:08 am

Actually the Tach Cable was/is the same length no matter which bars are used. ...............lm

Spargett wrote:I thought I'd throw a few photos of her half taken apart since I haven't had alot of content to update with. I'm sure a few of you haven't see these.

I live in a flat in downtown Sacramento, of which doesn't have it's own garage. So beforehand I was wrenching on the bike parked in the street, fighting against daylight and the cold (freezing lately). A neighbor was so kind as to offer me use of his garage since his truck doesn't fit in it anyway. SUCH a lifesaver. The holiday spirit in true effect.

Bike disassembled and waiting for parts/tools.

The bike almost looks clean here ; )

Bike disassembled and waiting for parts/tools.
RIDE IT DON'T HIDE IT!

Spargett
honda305.com Member

Post by Spargett » Sat Dec 20, 2008 8:11 am

I thought the same thing when seeing the title myself. You know eBay and its ways. A++++++++++ I actually picked up some white grease, which I heard you mention in a similar thread. Thanks for the info!
LOUD MOUSE wrote:Actually the Tach Cable was/is the same length no matter which bars are used. ...............lm

Gun
honda305.com Member

Post by Gun » Sun Dec 21, 2008 9:02 pm

that first photo of the bike in the garage is beautiful. nice photography.
'65 CB77
'66 CB450k0
'93 HD FXR

Gunner_CAF
honda305.com Member

Post by Gunner_CAF » Mon Dec 22, 2008 1:13 am

Yes, nice pictures!! I saw that tac cable for low bars and kind of wondered why the bars mattered. I guess it dosn't.

Gunner

Spargett
honda305.com Member

Post by Spargett » Mon Jan 05, 2009 1:13 am

Here is the bike in preparation to receive some Por-15 Rust Preventative Paint

There are numerous spots just like this all over the frame. In leu of disassembling the bike completely and having the frame re-powder coated, this will work as a temporary solution.

I'll have to go over it with something glossier since even the "gloss" is rather matte in contrast with the gloss powder coating.

As per my previous post of the the stator coil insulation chipping off, you'll see that I've added some silicone RTV sealant on two of the stator coils to help insulator worn portions. Its not pretty, but it'll do the job just fine. Not that people will get a look at the stator coils often anyway.

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home