Login
□ Search
□ FAQ 
□ 
Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

1966 CA78 Dream Restoration

Want to keep a Restoration Log? Post it here! You can include photos. Suggested format: One Restoration per Thread; then keep adding your updates to the same thread...
byrdman76
honda305.com Member

1966 CA78 Dream Restoration

Post by byrdman76 » Sun Dec 21, 2008 10:35 pm

Well I have gotten to a stopping point for now on the Superhawk Cafe Racer for registration purposes so I figured I would get started on a 66 Dream I picked up.

I started by getting it running and making sure the motor and trans was in good shape. The only thing that I could find seriously wrong was the clutch was slipping.

Once I knew that it would run, I began the tear down.

Here's a few before shots

Here's a few of the disassembly

Last edited by byrdman76 on Mon Jan 12, 2009 10:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

byrdman76
honda305.com Member

Post by byrdman76 » Sun Dec 21, 2008 10:44 pm

The front fender, side covers, and carb covers were in a box and seem to be in good shape.

Here's a few more of the tear down.

Rims were pretty rough so I'm getting them powdered

Carb tear down

byrdman76
honda305.com Member

Post by byrdman76 » Mon Dec 29, 2008 10:58 pm

Finished up the body work and was able to get everything striped down, media blasted, and painted during the holiday weekend. I still need to get some base and clear on the forks and front fender but the majority of the parts that are going to be painted are complete.

Headlight bucket and others ready for self etching primer.

Everything in primer and ready for paint.

Once I get an item completed it goes into storage for safe keeping. Unfortunately the lighting sucks and makes for some pretty sorry pictures. I'll try to get some good ones when I begin the reassembly in a few weeks.

BTW - Looking for an entire speedo cable.
Last edited by byrdman76 on Sun Jan 25, 2009 11:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

byrdman76
honda305.com Member

Post by byrdman76 » Sun Jan 11, 2009 10:01 pm

Got the rims back from the powder coater this Friday so I decided to lace them up. I had them done in extreme chrome - which turned out pretty sweet I think. A big difference from what they looked like before.

I also tried my hand at making my own white wall tires I used some tire paint from a company called Ranger. The process took about 4 hours for both tires - the painting being the quick and easy part. The other being sanding and prepping the tire, taping up the stripes, and third using an exacto knife to score a line when it was dry instead of just pulling the tape off.

Spargett
honda305.com Member

Post by Spargett » Mon Jan 12, 2009 4:39 am

Very cool stuff. Can't wait to see the rest. Did you paint the frame yourself?

byrdman76
honda305.com Member

Post by byrdman76 » Mon Jan 12, 2009 10:22 am

Spargett wrote:Very cool stuff. Can't wait to see the rest. Did you paint the frame yourself?
Thanks man - I did paint everything myself. Its a plain jane black base and urethane clear from Nason (Budget Dupont paint).

Hopefully I can get the forks and fender sprayed this upcoming weekend (weather permitting) and then begin the reassembly.

byrdman76
honda305.com Member

Post by byrdman76 » Mon Jan 12, 2009 10:36 am

The biggest thing that I cant wait to see is how the tires hold up. I used three very thin coats (with a foam roller) and waited 12 hours between coats to fully cure. I'm going to wait a couple of days before I mount them up and seat the beads. I just hope that the paint doesn't crack when I go to inflate the tire or during the first voyage. I can always go back and touch it up but it would be nice if it all worked out straight out of the bag...

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home