Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

paint suggestions

joew616
honda305.com Member

paint suggestions

Post by joew616 » Thu Aug 07, 2008 7:24 am

I am cleaning up a '67 CB77 and need to re-paint the rear fender. I am looking for any suggestions on paint codes or sources to match the OEM silver.
Also, the tail-light/license bracket on this bike is silver, not black like other examples I have seen. Does anyone know if the orig. color was ever silver for this part?

Thanks.

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Re: paint suggestions

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:31 am

I use Dupont IMRON 45040U on my bikes and yes your TL bracket did come Silver when HONDA issued that bike. There are many examples where the owner painted theirs Black on a Black bike. The Red CB72/77 bikes didn't come with Red TL brackets when issued (silver) but years back a person rebuilt a Red CB77 and painted it and the center stand Red and the bike was featured in "MC COLLECTORS" magazine so now more and more Red CB77's are being painted wrong. ........................lm

joew616 wrote:I am cleaning up a '67 CB77 and need to re-paint the rear fender. I am looking for any suggestions on paint codes or sources to match the OEM silver.
Also, the tail-light/license bracket on this bike is silver, not black like other examples I have seen. Does anyone know if the orig. color was ever silver for this part?

Thanks.
RIDE IT DON'T HIDE IT!

okie88
honda305.com Member

Post by okie88 » Thu Aug 07, 2008 6:11 pm

When did Honda go from black to silver on the tail light bracket? My 1965 Honda sales brochure shows it to be black.

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Fri Aug 08, 2008 6:35 am

This is what I know and have seen since 1963. Chances are I've had and seen more CB/CL72/77 HONDAS than most folks I know. That said I've never had or worked on a CB77 (US import) which didn't have a Silver TL bracket no matter the bike color. I've seen many pics of them with Black but the bike was also Black. Consider this by thinking about the CB's you've seen if at any time you saw a Red bike with a TL bracket other than Silver and the same with the Blue issue. Now don't confuse the White bike as one which will have a Silver one because it had a Black one. I have seen the CB72 with Black but that bike was Black. Also don't compare the CB to the CL72/77 because they had TL brackets and center stands that are color matched to the frame and the center stands for the CB was Black on all colors. Even the White ones! I like you have a black and white photo 10x12 which I got at the HONDA library when I worked on the communication systems when HONDA moved to the location they are at now. It shows what appears to be a Red 1965 CB77 and it has a Silver TL bracket and Black center stand. I am aware there are CB's out there which don't have Silver TL brackets and that's OK with me however I know what I've seen and have stated so. ...................lm

okie88 wrote:When did Honda go from black to silver on the tail light bracket? My 1965 Honda sales brochure shows it to be black.
RIDE IT DON'T HIDE IT!

Spargett
honda305.com Member

Post by Spargett » Tue Dec 16, 2008 4:22 am

How do you go about acquiring the Dupont IMRON 45040U? Is that the grey for the fenders or the engine/crankcases? Or are they the same? I found the IMRON directory on Dupont's site, but there's a million subpages within the IMRON umbrella.
LOUD MOUSE wrote:I use Dupont IMRON 45040U on my bikes

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Tue Dec 16, 2008 8:29 am

Go to a auto paint store and give them the number.
They can offer you that COLOR in the brand of paint they sell.
The color is for the fenders/air cleaner covers/CL72/77 tank but nothing on the engine or forks. .........................lm

Spargett wrote:How do you go about acquiring the Dupont IMRON 45040U? Is that the grey for the fenders or the engine/crankcases? Or are they the same? I found the IMRON directory on Dupont's site, but there's a million subpages within the IMRON umbrella.
LOUD MOUSE wrote:I use Dupont IMRON 45040U on my bikes
RIDE IT DON'T HIDE IT!

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home