□ 
Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

footpeg rubbers

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Thu Oct 30, 2008 6:01 am

Your bike uses 3 different rubber foot peg covers.
The rider has a left and a right and the passenger has the same on each side.
The ones shown are for the passenger.
Go to <http://www.olypen.com/retro/> and ya can get the rider ones which are so close to OEM tis difficult to tell they aren't original and the prices are right. ...............lm

AWILLIAMS64 wrote:i am going to see if he will sell me 4 for a good price. so i will have a new set for front and rear.
RIDE IT DON'T HIDE IT!

e3steve
h305 Moderator

Post by e3steve » Thu Oct 30, 2008 6:32 am

Every day's a schoolday, Edski. So what does the driver right look like? Just noduled on the top with a smooth underside, like the left? I have a NOS driver left, but it's a pain in the attic as it rolls a bit when I stand to navigate road humps (I have a prolapsed vertebral disc between L5 & S1 -- road humps jar it quite painfully when seated); I made the mistake of tightening the fit with a length of glue-filled heatshrink which, of course, goes soft as the peg gets warm via the exhaust mounting connection.

I'm gonna grind a couple of shallow indentations, staggered on the front & rear radii of the peg (so as not to weaken it laterally) and shrink some hardwalled, clear heatshrink, non-glued, to take up the slack. The indentations should stop the shrunk tubing from rolling as, once this hardwalled stuff is shrunk it doesn't soften when re-warmed.

I've never observed any of these original, handed types in any of my many CB pics, which is why I reckon the rears are spot-on for the driver of a rider. Show's a different thing altogether.

AWILLIAMS64
honda305.com Member

Post by AWILLIAMS64 » Thu Oct 30, 2008 6:57 am

good info loudmouse! i will see if i can get 2 of them from him then and then go to retro and get the fronts. Your information is much appreciated.
1965 superhawk...project
2007 honda spirit 1100 ridin bike

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Thu Oct 30, 2008 7:31 am

With the rubbers removed you will see an area near the swivel rivet which is different on each side.
That protrusion fits into a relief cast into the rubber. That is how HONDA stopped the rubber from doing as yours are doing. Chances are you have the passenger rubber rather than the rider issue. .................lm

e3steve wrote:Every day's a schoolday, Edski. So what does the driver right look like? Just noduled on the top with a smooth underside, like the left? I have a NOS driver left, but it's a pain in the attic as it rolls a bit when I stand to navigate road humps (I have a prolapsed vertebral disc between L5 & S1 -- road humps jar it quite painfully when seated); I made the mistake of tightening the fit with a length of glue-filled heatshrink which, of course, goes soft as the peg gets warm via the exhaust mounting connection.

I'm gonna grind a couple of shallow indentations, staggered on the front & rear radii of the peg (so as not to weaken it laterally) and shrink some hardwalled, clear heatshrink, non-glued, to take up the slack. The indentations should stop the shrunk tubing from rolling as, once this hardwalled stuff is shrunk it doesn't soften when re-warmed.

I've never observed any of these original, handed types in any of my many CB pics, which is why I reckon the rears are spot-on for the driver of a rider. Show's a different thing altogether.
RIDE IT DON'T HIDE IT!

AWILLIAMS64
honda305.com Member

Post by AWILLIAMS64 » Thu Oct 30, 2008 9:09 am

another mistake averted by listening to loudmouse!
1965 superhawk...project
2007 honda spirit 1100 ridin bike

e3steve
h305 Moderator

Post by e3steve » Thu Oct 30, 2008 2:51 pm

Does that mean 'shut up, Steve'?. Arf!!

If it's just for a daily rider, the rear rubbers will 'do the job'; if you want it right on the button, Retro Bikes is the place, it seems. I don't profess to have all the knowledge and I'm always prepared to take a beating when my advice is wrong. Unless it's something that I know, and state, to be correct -- as opposed to info I've gleaned from the publications I possess -- then please take my posts as suggestion rather than fact.

LM has the only omnipotent, experience-based knowledge. To my knowledge!

http://www.honda305.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=3460

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Thu Oct 30, 2008 7:50 pm

I don't think so Steve. .................lm

e3steve wrote:Does that mean 'shut up, Steve'?. Arf!!

If it's just for a daily rider, the rear rubbers will 'do the job'; if you want it right on the button, Retro Bikes is the place, it seems. I don't profess to have all the knowledge and I'm always prepared to take a beating when my advice is wrong. Unless it's something that I know, and state, to be correct -- as opposed to info I've gleaned from the publications I possess -- then please take my posts as suggestion rather than fact.

LM has the only omnipotent, experience-based knowledge. To my knowledge!

http://www.honda305.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=3460
RIDE IT DON'T HIDE IT!

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home