Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Chain Pitch, Splines, Models, etc...

Clutch, Transmission, Drive Chain, Sprockets
e3steve
h305 Moderator

Post by e3steve » Thu Oct 16, 2008 12:38 pm

Cool site! Thanks Davo. Drive chain technology's a little science within itself! I'm glad I asked now....

I reckon the 530 would last longer on ours than would the 520, although today's chains with O-ring sealed rollers should easily outlast a '60s design. The technology has changed a fair bit in 40+ years, so today's 520 is most likely more than a match for yesterdecade's 530. Errrr, I've just contradicted myself, haven't I? Typing as I think....

I managed to 'hook' two sprocket sets and break a chain on my CB77, back in '71; not a lot of mechanical sympathy from me back then.

Thanks again!

davomoto
honda305.com Member

Post by davomoto » Fri Oct 17, 2008 10:40 am

Yes Steve, moden chains are much stronger than those of yester-year. Chains are rated by tensile strength. O-ring, and X-ring chains do generally outlast a standard chain, but do have more drag, and will rob a bit of power. The racers won't run an O or X-ring chain because of this.

davomoto

Phil-UK
honda305.com Member

Post by Phil-UK » Mon Oct 20, 2008 5:18 am

Hi - not strictly to do with final drive chains but ...

Guy here in the UK who does the autojumbles has just provided my mate's CB72 with a new oil filter chain ( which he says is still a current size ) and machined to fit crankshaft sprocket for @£18.
We are looking to see if the standard sprocket he used can also be made to fit the filter itself.

This would give us a commonly available option to replace all the original hooked sprockets
and knackered chains.

Will post more once all the details are confirmed.

Phil

NB - the chain guy also thinks he has found a possible replacement for the primary that
involves changing sprockets ... not the duplex soution currently available.

Dogsbd
honda305.com Member

Post by Dogsbd » Mon Oct 20, 2008 6:34 am

As for the abundance of CA77 sprockets on eBay, I've been watching for a couple of months now for a rear sprocket with no luck. There is one on now (or was Friday) but it appeared to be well worn.

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home