Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

electric start on dream

jim milewski
honda305.com Member

electric start on dream

Post by jim milewski » Mon Sep 01, 2008 1:44 pm

I get the starter clutch out and apart and do not understand why those little plungers are there, I thought springs would be behind them but no, so what is their purpose, I understand the rollers and ramp operation with the rollers engaging the clutch and runway on the starter sprocket, seems like that is all you need and the plungers do nothing, any thoughts?

kustommusic
honda305.com Member

Post by kustommusic » Mon Sep 01, 2008 9:11 pm

Jim, The plungers that you are refering to are the caps for the springs. You have to have the springs for the whole deal to work. Kustommusic

djohns
honda305.com Member

Post by djohns » Mon Sep 01, 2008 9:17 pm

There are small springs that go under the plungers. Very fine wire! They seem to disappear, kind of like one sock of a pair in the dryer. If you have the starter clutch apart now, replace the plungers,springs and rollers. Check the flat head screws that hold the backplate to the assembly, they crack and or loosen up. Restake the heads of these screws if necessary. Check the face of the starter sprocket where the rollers ramp up to for galling or loss of hardface.

jim milewski
honda305.com Member

that makes more sense

Post by jim milewski » Tue Sep 02, 2008 6:53 am

what through me off was that there was NO sign of any springs, completely disintergrated apparently, very dry in there as well, now I have to take the sprocket out and clean the roller surface and I think I'll finish it by buffing it. Do they recommend grease in there after reassembly?

bk305
honda305.com Member

starter clutch grease

Post by bk305 » Tue Sep 02, 2008 8:37 am

i've been using a moly-based silicone grease to lube my starter clutch- just a very small amount seems to work just fine. (i put on the spring end caps along with any areas that slide or move.- bk

e3steve
h305 Moderator

Post by e3steve » Fri Sep 05, 2008 4:06 pm

djohns wrote:There are small springs that go under the plungers. Very fine wire! They seem to disappear, kind of like one sock of a pair in the dryer. If you have the starter clutch apart now, replace the plungers,springs and rollers. Check the flat head screws that hold the backplate to the assembly, they crack and or loosen up. Restake the heads of these screws if necessary. Check the face of the starter sprocket where the rollers ramp up to for galling or loss of hardface.
Don't get that problem now that she's left; I have correct pairs again!!

e3steve
h305 Moderator

Re: starter clutch grease

Post by e3steve » Fri Sep 05, 2008 4:10 pm

bk305 wrote:i've been using a moly-based silicone grease to lube my starter clutch- just a very small amount seems to work just fine. (i put on the spring end caps along with any areas that slide or move.- bk
That's what I was gonna do, but LM says to leave the whole sheboodle dry otherwise it's likely to pick up dust & crap.

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home