Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Identifying Year of Old Bike

RJag
honda305.com Member

Re: Identifying Year of Old Bike

Post by RJag » Thu Jul 21, 2005 9:06 am

I am not really sure if the six-seven digit number nails down the year. The silver article lists an example of a CA77 '64 with a six digit number<br />but the whole discussion previous to that was detailing the differences in the CB bikes. His article doesn't specify for the CA's which year they started the CA numbering system with 7 digits instead of 6.<br /><br />If you can find some sort of reference that specifys please post it! :)<br /><br />Thanks<br />Rick<br /> <br />
Pigeonalley wrote:<br />Hay guys! This is a 7 digit serial number! I thought 64s (at least on my 64) had a 6 digit number! I thought they started with 7 digits in 65?<br /><br />If I'm mistaken would someone please let me know!<br /><br />&quot;Dreams cruse while the others snooze!&quot;<br />

mikescottt
honda305.com Member

Post by mikescottt » Thu Jul 21, 2005 10:26 am

My mistake I stated earlier your bike was a 64. I didnt count the numbers. In the manual I have, Silver says that the engine # went to 7 digits in 65 and continued thereafter for most of the models sold in the US. I have the Bill Silvers Twins book CD at home. It has a better break down of the year to eng/Frame #s. Let you know later what I find.

Pigeonalley
honda305.com Member

Post by Pigeonalley » Thu Jul 21, 2005 1:30 pm

Rick,<br /><br /> I would think you would want to leave no stone unturned in the persuit of the correct date for your bike! In some states it makes the differance in a valid title or toilet paper. Even if your state issues a valid title, another state may not honor that title if it has the slightest flaw. It can make simple paper work into a nightmare of dragging your bike from place to place getting inspections by everyone from DOT to EPA! <br /><br /> To those of us that visit this sight ALL CAs are great bikes! (that's why some of have more then one) 64 or 65 it makes no differance to most of us, but it sure should to you!<br /><br /> Just as a matter of intrest to me, could you measure your battery tray? Is it 5 3/4 X 3 3/8 or 7 1/2 X 2 3/4?<br /><br /> No matter what year it is, have fun with it. That's what it's all about!
Old bikes like old men, sometimes you have to kick start them

RJag
honda305.com Member

Post by RJag » Thu Jul 21, 2005 2:54 pm

Hi,<br /><br />It is good that I am finally nailing down the exact date. It will make things a lot easier.<br /><br />7 1/2&quot; X 2 3/4&quot; unfortunatly I am having problems because most cross references for the dream refer to a battery.. <br />12N9-3A and this battery is 3&quot; wide.<br /><br />Got a repair manual coming... :)<br />

Pigeonalley
honda305.com Member

Post by Pigeonalley » Thu Jul 21, 2005 11:27 pm

Rick your bike takes the &quot;early&quot; battery The base of the &quot;late&quot; battery is 5 3/4 X 3 3/8 <br /><br />Find a 12 volt that will fit. no matter what battery you get you will have to keep in on a charger most of the time anyway!
Old bikes like old men, sometimes you have to kick start them

mikescottt
honda305.com Member

Post by mikescottt » Fri Jul 22, 2005 12:07 am

Ok I looked it up on Silvers honda 250-305 Twins Books on CD. I also looked at Silver Dream Engine repair manual.<br /><br />The 6 digit numbers for both frame and Eng. end in 64.<br />65 on are all 7 digits. On the CD it shows only a CA 78E eng. with a 7 digit number for 65 on, but no CA77E eng. number. In the Engine manual it shows only a CA77E with a 7 digit number for 65 on but no CA78E number. Your frame number is a match for 65 on.<br />The number difference between your frame and Eng is only 51 this indicates to me that over the years no one has swap the engine out, and eng. and frame came as a set from the factory. I think the CD is a typo and they did make a CA77E eng with a 7 digit # for 65 on. My best guess is its a 65,66 or 67. I dont know how to till the difference between a 65,66 or 67. Im new so if Im full of it I would like to know. mike

RJag
honda305.com Member

Post by RJag » Fri Jul 22, 2005 9:46 pm

Hi All,<br /><br />Thanks for the help figuring out a window for the year range that this bike could possibly be. In any case the manual covered this range.<br /><br />Thanks<br />Rick

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home