Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Kickstarter gear

Clutch, Transmission, Drive Chain, Sprockets
lhz55
honda305.com Member

Kickstarter gear

Post by lhz55 » Sun Aug 03, 2008 3:48 pm

I am attempting to test my assembly before I finish rebuilding the motor. My kick starter will only rotate one turn before it stops. The ratchet action will return it to the starting point then also stops. I assumed the action was "unlimited" that it would turn the motor as long as you rotate the gear. Thus, ratcheted backwards also unlimited. I stopped myself short before I recrack the case to ask if the action is supposed to be limited or unlimited. Hope this question makes sense.
Thanks, Lee

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Re: Kickstarter gear

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Sun Aug 03, 2008 6:03 pm

And the engine you have is???????????.
If it's a DREAM type the shaft hits that big black bolt which installs on the clutch side. .............lm

lhz55 wrote:I am attempting to test my assembly before I finish rebuilding the motor. My kick starter will only rotate one turn before it stops. The ratchet action will return it to the starting point then also stops. I assumed the action was "unlimited" that it would turn the motor as long as you rotate the gear. Thus, ratcheted backwards also unlimited. I stopped myself short before I recrack the case to ask if the action is supposed to be limited or unlimited. Hope this question makes sense.
Thanks, Lee
RIDE IT DON'T HIDE IT!

lhz55
honda305.com Member

Post by lhz55 » Sun Aug 03, 2008 9:10 pm

The CB77 Superhawk Motor is on my Bench. I attempted to "test" the kickstarter. I found that the gear only turned most of one revolution, then stopped. It would allow me to ratched the gear back but would also hit a stop position. This would probable work fine once the engine is mounted on the frame. My question, is this the design or is my kickstarter movement not normal? I guess I expected it not to have a limit. i.e. that it would keep turning either way.
thanks, Lee

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Sun Aug 03, 2008 9:36 pm

Why????????????. .........lm

lhz55 wrote:The CB77 Superhawk Motor is on my Bench. I attempted to "test" the kickstarter. I found that the gear only turned most of one revolution, then stopped. It would allow me to ratched the gear back but would also hit a stop position. This would probable work fine once the engine is mounted on the frame. My question, is this the design or is my kickstarter movement not normal? I guess I expected it not to have a limit. i.e. that it would keep turning either way.
thanks, Lee
RIDE IT DON'T HIDE IT!

lhz55
honda305.com Member

Post by lhz55 » Sun Aug 03, 2008 9:40 pm

Just trying to avoid remounting the motor if I made a mistake in my transmission rebuild.
Thanks, Lee

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Sun Aug 03, 2008 9:42 pm

--------If it's a DREAM type the shaft hits that big black bolt which installs on the clutch side. .............lm

lhz55 wrote:Just trying to avoid remounting the motor if I made a mistake in my transmission rebuild.
Thanks, Lee
RIDE IT DON'T HIDE IT!

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home