Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Problems with 1st and Neutral

Clutch, Transmission, Drive Chain, Sprockets
kylechanh
honda305.com Member

Post by kylechanh » Mon Jul 21, 2008 7:29 pm

The shop couldn't take the bike for a few weeks so I'll be opening her up again.

The wires were intact. My friend recommended that I lose the wires. Since, I've read that if you install the metal clutch plates that the wires won't fit and are not needed. I'm going to try it without the wires. I didn't not clean the plates with "solvent". What kind of solvent is recommended for the fiber plates? I only cleaned the plates by wiping them down and oiling before reinstalling the plates the first time around.

What do I look for in a worn shift drum or bad rollers. Not sure which is the roller.

jwbert
honda305.com Member

Post by jwbert » Mon Jul 21, 2008 7:36 pm

You are right the wires are not necessary, but I have heard they make it a little easier to find neutral on a running bike. The shift drum and rollers are inside the transmission and you need to split the cases to inspect them for wear and tear. Any guess on actual mileage? I clean the fibre clutch plates with brake parts cleaner and the metal ones get soaked in carb cleaner over night and then glass beaded. Good luck.

kylechanh
honda305.com Member

Post by kylechanh » Mon Jul 21, 2008 7:41 pm

Don't the wires make it hard for the clutch plates to disengage?

With the bike on it's center stand I can find all the gears and neutral easily. Off the stand, neutral is impossible and the RPMs will drop about 300-500 rpms, so if the idle isn't high enough, it stalls.

joeweir1
honda305.com Member

Post by joeweir1 » Mon Jul 21, 2008 7:59 pm

kyle-I know on my CA77 that I have to be moving to get the tranny in neatral 99% of the time.When I roll up to a stop I just put it in neutral before I stop.I have also had issues in the past when I left it in first gear at a stop light for too long the bike would start to move to the point I had to hold it back with my feet and the bike would start to stall.Seemed worse on really hot days.I did have the "all fiber" disks in the clutch at that time and now went back to the fiber over metal disks and had the clutch hub machined and plates blasted.I left the wires on my clutch.Seems alot of people have problems on these tranny's finding neutral when stopped.

jwbert
honda305.com Member

Post by jwbert » Mon Jul 21, 2008 9:47 pm

really sounds like you have one or more clutch plates sticking

joeweir1
honda305.com Member

Post by joeweir1 » Tue Jul 22, 2008 7:25 pm

possibly-But short of buying all new plates I'll just ride it like it is.Have been for three years now.

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home