Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Substitute for Dupont Imron silver paint

sandmbik1414
honda305.com Member

Substitute for Dupont Imron silver paint

Post by sandmbik1414 » Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:46 pm

Hello, I was wondering if anyone has a good suggestion for a substitute for the Dupont Imron silver paint that is listed on this site for the tanks and air filter covers of CL/CB's in the form of either spray paint or paint in a quart container. I understand that paints with catalysts yield a stronger, more professional finish, but I am a bit daunted by prospect of shooting a paint with such permanence.

Thank in advance,
Adam

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Re: Substitute for Dupont Imron silver paint

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Thu Jul 17, 2008 5:27 pm

Take the paint code number to a ato paint store and have them cross match to any brand you want. ............lm
sandmbik1414 wrote:Hello, I was wondering if anyone has a good suggestion for a substitute for the Dupont Imron silver paint that is listed on this site for the tanks and air filter covers of CL/CB's in the form of either spray paint or paint in a quart container. I understand that paints with catalysts yield a stronger, more professional finish, but I am a bit daunted by prospect of shooting a paint with such permanence.

Thank in advance,
Adam
RIDE IT DON'T HIDE IT!

sandmbik1414
honda305.com Member

Post by sandmbik1414 » Mon Jul 21, 2008 5:43 pm

Taking your advise I went into a couple local autobody paint stores. I was quoted somewhere around $80 per quart, which is a little high for my budget. Do you know of any other alternative or do I just have to bite the bullet and fork over the $80. I'm not looking for a perfect match, just something that looks relatively close. Thanks again

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Wed Jul 23, 2008 4:21 pm

Thats pretty much the going price for a quart. ..........lm

sandmbik1414 wrote:Taking your advise I went into a couple local autobody paint stores. I was quoted somewhere around $80 per quart, which is a little high for my budget. Do you know of any other alternative or do I just have to bite the bullet and fork over the $80. I'm not looking for a perfect match, just something that looks relatively close. Thanks again
RIDE IT DON'T HIDE IT!

dannysvintagespeed
honda305.com Member

Post by dannysvintagespeed » Thu Jul 24, 2008 9:36 pm

For what its worth, if you want to save a few bucks,and your not concerned about originality,go down to your local Autozone and by a quart of Duplicolor "Body Shop" paint. It's pre-mixed ready to spray lauquer.I cant recall the name of the silver,but they only have one.For $20 a quart you can't beat it and being lauquer,it looks original.You can also buy the clear to topcoat it.I didn't do that,just rubbed it out Looks more original in my opinion.
Attachments
Duplicolor body shop silver
Duplicolor body shop silver

sandmbik1414
honda305.com Member

Post by sandmbik1414 » Sun Aug 10, 2008 10:26 pm

Thanks for the advice. I shot my parts with the Duplicolor brilliant Silver you suggested, and everything looks great. Thank you for saving me 60 bucks. When you say you rubbed it out, what exactly did you mean. Did you wax it or what?

Thanks
Adam

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home