Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Engine rebuild advice for a soon to be new mechanic

bj
honda305.com Member

Engine rebuild advice for a soon to be new mechanic

Post by bj » Wed Jul 16, 2008 2:54 pm

Well,

After looking for sometime, I can't find a local mechanic willing to go through my Ca 77's engine. Soooo, It looks like I am going to soon taking a crack at this motor myself. This is my 4th old Honda restore, but, I have not done a engine overhaul yet. I like to think I am pretty handy and could figure it out, I guess we'll see. I have adjusted valves and other basic things before. I've started reading an online motorcycle mechanic course. I like the idea of learning how to do the work myself, but obviously this a complicated subject.

I'm starting to collect some parts such as gasket kits, seals, points and condensor.

The motor ran when I took it out of the frame. It was pretty weak, but usually started right up. It would get the bike up to about 60 mph on level ground (no wind), but when it came time to go up a hill........not good. It leaked alot of oil. Once it got to a moderate rpm the power surged slowly.

I love to have any advice.

What common problems with rebuilds?

Am I crazy to try this myself?

I guess everyone has got to start somewhere.

Thanks,
Bryan

JC
honda305.com Member

Post by JC » Wed Jul 16, 2008 5:33 pm

Go for it! I rebuilt a 250 dream motor when I was 15 1/2. And if I remember right I rode it for a year or so after that without problems. Either these motors are very robust and forgiving or I got lucky!

Get a manual, don't be in a hurry, read the past posts here and ask for help here. You'll be fine.

Good luck,

Jim

davomoto
honda305.com Member

Post by davomoto » Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:29 pm

Bryan, get the Bill Silver engine book, if not both of his books. Take the time to read and re-read it. Use it like a bible during the rebuild process. Take pics of parts before disassembling them, and definately ask questions on this forum when in doubt. These are fairly simple engines, and will give you a great feeling of accomplishment when done!

davomoto

bj
honda305.com Member

Post by bj » Thu Jul 17, 2008 10:52 pm

Thanks for the encouragement.

I've already had the bike blasted and powdercoated in white. It looks great. I am in the process of putting it back together now. Once it is mostly done I will start on the engine.
I already have Bills cd. It has soooo much great info on it. I haven't had to the chance to go through everything yet, but I believe there is much about engine rebuilding that I will have to reference.

I am happy that I have decided to tackle the engine myself. I have always wanted to really understand that aspect of the rebuild. We'll see how I feel once I get into it.

Thanks,

Bryan

Ps I'll post a few pics once there is more to look at.

bj
honda305.com Member

Post by bj » Sun Jul 27, 2008 10:52 pm

The gas tank has just a little bit of rust in it. Not much at all.

Should I take care of this in some manner, or do you think it will be alright?

Thanks,
Bryan

Dogsbd
honda305.com Member

Post by Dogsbd » Mon Jul 28, 2008 10:30 am

POR-15 gas tank sealer. rather easy to use, might as well do it now and it should be good for years to come.

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home