Login
□ Search
□ FAQ 
□ 
Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Honda C200

Who said it was only about Motorcycles? What else do you collect, restore, enjoy... ?
4shorts
honda305.com Member

Post by 4shorts » Wed Jul 02, 2008 3:40 am

Hey my buddy great to see your still on here as well. I don't get over here much due to the amount of work on this end but when I get a notification on one of the threads asking a question I try and make an effort on answering it. We're doing ok up here although the weather is nothing to brag about. Great place to live if your a duck due to all the rain but down states side you guys got it much worst with flooding and all.

As you know I always have a project in progress and it's no different now. The only thing is that it's about as far removed from a Honda 305 as one can find BUT it do have a motor ( anyone want to guess what it is?) It's as ugly as sin starting out but one thing about starting out ugly, everything you do with it is an improvement :) It will have the usual custom touch when completed.

Hope you have a great riding season out on the Dream. Thanks for the note and remember to ride safe my friend.
1964 CT200
1965 C78 305 Dream
1966 C100 Cub
1966 C200 90 Touring
1969 Z50AK1
1972 C70 Cub
1972 CT70 K1
1984 C70 Passport
2003 GL1800 GoldWing

Freshapple
honda305.com Member

Transmission Slipping Out of Neutral

Post by Freshapple » Sun Jul 06, 2008 12:34 pm

So I finally got my Honda C200 running for a few minutes, but... now I have discovered another issue, it won't stay in neutral. When I first got the bike, I was able to kick it over and over in neutral, as one would do normally when starting it. Now, after I have had it running for a few minutes, the bike does not want to stay in neutral. I can kick it 1 or 2 times, then the bike slips into gear. I can get it back into neutral, kick it 1 or 2 times again, then it slips back into gear, (2nd) I think.
When the bike was running, I had the throttle pulled a little open on the handlebars to keep it running. Then, I let off the throttle a little bit and started adjusting the idle on the carb. When the idle dropped low enough, I could hear the gears trying to engage and finally catch. This put the bike into gear and eventually stalled the bike.
Does anyone have insight on how to properly adjust the bike so it will stay in neutral. I have the side engine cover off and have looked at the gears and clutch. I'm not sure what to look for since I don't have a repair manual yet.
Paul, I am grateful that you have scanned the image of the tank in my previous post and hope you could do something similar to give me a better idea of what the gearbox looks like. If there is any kind of adjustment or set screw I should be looking for to get it to stay in neutral?

Please help.
Thanks

P.S. I'll post some pictures of the bike so everyone can see how things progress.

4shorts
honda305.com Member

Post by 4shorts » Sun Jul 06, 2008 1:18 pm

Daniel (nice name. My son's name as well). First of all don't panic. These old bikes need a little coaxing and sometimes in my case allot of swearing to get them up and running BUT remember. It's supposed to be enjoyable and if it starts to get to you, leave it for awhile and take a break.

OK. I've scanned some photo's for you. I want you to look at the second pic and you'll see an area I have a red arrow pointing to. If it was my bike that would be the area I would first look at. Maybe the spring has broken. Slipped out of place or something may have bent. Does your clutch feel right?

Take a look at the photo's and see if it will help. Let us know the outcome. Paul

1964 CT200
1965 C78 305 Dream
1966 C100 Cub
1966 C200 90 Touring
1969 Z50AK1
1972 C70 Cub
1972 CT70 K1
1984 C70 Passport
2003 GL1800 GoldWing

4shorts
honda305.com Member

Post by 4shorts » Sun Jul 06, 2008 1:30 pm

Daniel I scanned a page from the operators manual for your bike and this is the only adjustment you can do with it. Hope this helps. Paul

1964 CT200
1965 C78 305 Dream
1966 C100 Cub
1966 C200 90 Touring
1969 Z50AK1
1972 C70 Cub
1972 CT70 K1
1984 C70 Passport
2003 GL1800 GoldWing

Freshapple
honda305.com Member

Right Side Transmission Items Look Okay

Post by Freshapple » Tue Jul 08, 2008 1:16 am

Well, I took apart the right side of the bike. I looked at the clutch, gears, springs etc. and everything appears to be in proper order on the right side of the bike. I opened the outer case on the left side of the bike and discovered the stator, generator and other electrical stuff. I think I need to take the next level off the left side of the bike to get to the gears and transmission items. I think this is where the bike is having the issue of not staying in neutral. Even with the right side taken apart (see photo) the bike still continues to jump out of neutral into first gear while kicking the kickstart.
Does anyone know if the electrical items can stay together in order to remove the left side of the gearbox? OR Do I have to remove the generator and stator to get the next cover off to look at the transmission?
Attachments
Honda C200 right side transmission gears
Honda C200 right side transmission gears

Freshapple
honda305.com Member

As the wheel turns

Post by Freshapple » Fri Jul 11, 2008 11:09 pm

So my project continues... I have figured out where the fault is on the bike and why it won't stay in neutral. It seems the 2 shafts from the transmission are not seating properly and the play of the shaft in the crankcase housing are causing the gears to mesh and pull themself into gear. I am going to take the crankcase apart so I can look at the transmission. Once I get it open I will look for worn out washers (part # 13) on Paul's first transmission pic OR possibly even gear 5 that slides on the shaft is hung up or not sliding all the way across the spline...
I have removed the engine and have all the bolts out except for one. The one that holds the alternator in (#15). Once I get this one out I can open the 2 crankcase pieces. My question is this,
Is this bolt a regular righty tighty lefty loosey bolt, or is it threaded the opposite of all other bolts to stay in the crank?
Attachments
Which way does this bolt spin to loosen?
Which way does this bolt spin to loosen?
bolt #15
bolt #15
Bike Progress.jpg

Freshapple
honda305.com Member

Cam to Cylinder Timing

Post by Freshapple » Sat Oct 04, 2008 7:25 pm

Well, I figured out that one of the transmission shift forks was worn out. Now that I have it replaced, I need to put the motor case back together.
My question is this...
How do I get the cam timed with the cylinder when I put the halves back together?
I need to figure out when the intake / exhaust timing will coincide properly with the cylinder position.

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home