□ 
Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

new to forum need help

joeweir1
honda305.com Member

Post by joeweir1 » Wed Jun 11, 2008 2:48 pm

Air screw should be turned out 1 1/8 th turns(I'm talking a complete revolution and 1/8 turn).Should not varie too much from that."5" turns is way too much.Idle screw should be easy to get turns on, I can't remember where mine is right now.Sounds like you are still very rich.Are o-rings in descent condition and carb spacer on correctly??Did you check your valve adjustments?Did you try moving needle clip up one notch to #2 slot(needle could be worn)?Float level correct?Like jim said-is slow jet clear.It is a pretty small hole and somewtimes hard to clear out.

fracro131
honda305.com Member

update

Post by fracro131 » Wed Jun 11, 2008 4:04 pm

Thankyou , this might sound dumb, but know nothing about valve adjustment. or slide needle and clip. the bike has about 9000 miles on it, so i didnt think the slide would have been worn, but im new to this i will try any suggestions. i appreciate all the help.

lhz55
honda305.com Member

Post by lhz55 » Wed Jun 11, 2008 6:26 pm

It sounds as if you have the problem in hand. My 2 cents worth is to also check if you have a sticky valve. Your symptons are simular to a cb160 I had that sat for years. When I put it back on the road it would run fine then drop to one cylinder. But would come back with 2 on a sparatic basis. I put a sticky valve additive from Advanced auto parts and cleared it right up.

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Re: new to forum need help

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Wed Jun 11, 2008 8:03 pm

Have you checked to see that the points open at "F"?. ..................lm

fracro131 wrote:I have a 1966 honda engine-ca77e-1012975. Ive owned this bike for about 25 yrs. It has set in the garage for years and not started. I recently got it out of the garage. I have cleaned the tank put new gas in it. The carburetor was leaking gas. I took it off and cleaned it and put a new carb kit in it. The bike started right up and ran good for about 5 10 minutes, then it started to fire on just 1 cylinder. I bought a new condenser, new points, new spark plug ends and new plugs. I replaced all gas lines. I started the bike ,it started right up and ran well for about 5mins. I rode it down the road and back and it was not idling just right. I was adjusting the air screws on the carb and again it started to run on 1 cylinder and stop running. now i cant get it to restart. This thing is driving me nuts. Can anyone offer any suggestions as to where to go from here. would greatly appreciate any help.
RIDE IT DON'T HIDE IT!

fracro131
honda305.com Member

update

Post by fracro131 » Wed Jun 11, 2008 11:03 pm

I have the points set at 0.14, high point on cam. What does F mean? how do I find F?
also I am thinking that maybe i dont have the float right. What is float measurement and and how do i measure to get it right. I sure do appreciate the help from all you guys.

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Re: update

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Thu Jun 12, 2008 12:21 am

The CARB PROBLEMS are in direct proportion the MISS ADJUSTMENT OF THE POINTS is an old adage which is ignored/not realized by many bike owners. The points MUST open at EXACTLY "F" on the rotor. You MUST know that the coil fires when the points OPEN and that has to happen when the rotor "F" and the marker on the stater are IN LINE. ..............lm

fracro131 wrote:I have the points set at 0.14, high point on cam. What does F mean? how do I find F?
also I am thinking that maybe i dont have the float right. What is float measurement and and how do i measure to get it right. I sure do appreciate the help from all you guys.
RIDE IT DON'T HIDE IT!

fracro131
honda305.com Member

update

Post by fracro131 » Thu Jun 12, 2008 1:20 pm

I will be checking all things suggested this weekend when im off work . I will let you know how things are comming along. thank you

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home