Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Points Wiring Game! Win BIG Prizes! CA77

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Mon Jun 09, 2008 10:53 pm

Are the points open .014 in the pic?. ..........lm

invizibletouch wrote:Pics of timing setup.

RIDE IT DON'T HIDE IT!

invizibletouch
honda305.com Member

Post by invizibletouch » Mon Jun 09, 2008 10:57 pm

AHA! I'm getting "it" now because my next post was going to show how I was setting them to .014 at the highest lobe and and the pc notch like _ and got it to run better than ever. Finally getting through my thick skull. Will report back after I loosen those OTHER 2 screws and adjusting the plate. Thanks LM!

invizibletouch
honda305.com Member

Post by invizibletouch » Mon Jun 09, 2008 10:58 pm

YES! And I think you just schooled me why that is not the correct setup.
LOUD MOUSE wrote:Are the points open .014 in the pic?. ..........lm

invizibletouch wrote:Pics of timing setup.

allthumbs
honda305.com Member

Post by allthumbs » Tue Jun 10, 2008 6:11 pm

Seems like you have the timing thing worked out. insanity huh? it can really make you feel dim. I think I read the thing 40 times, mouthing each word as I said them.

another source for the misfiring could be the slow jet I hear. this is my next exploration after I run the current tank of gas and carb cleaner though. apparently it's so small you need to poke a super fine wire though it to clear it.

I think if you had a ground issue you'd have no power. try checking the leads on the small fusebox under the seat. (I think the CA has that too) mine were not touching th fuse ends all the time, making a funky elec. problem.

you could always follow the wiring to be sure it's all covered and connected

invizibletouch
honda305.com Member

Post by invizibletouch » Tue Jun 10, 2008 7:16 pm

You got that right Allthumbs! This has been a head-scratcher.

Well, she runs again! Instant throttle response, nice ride....for about 10 minutes! Drivers' side cylinder it's def not hitting as it should. Exhaust is much cooler to the touch, and you can hear/feel/see the miss as your riding. Little white/tan puffs and a mean miss. Fouled plugs in both sides. Back to the carb??? It's set to the factory specs, minus the floats which I have ordered. One side has a smalllll leak. Small as in not visible.

Thanks!

invizibletouch
honda305.com Member

Post by invizibletouch » Tue Jun 10, 2008 7:33 pm

From another thread:
joeweir1 wrote:If you did use the new needle in the carb kit what position did you put the clip on?If the bike starts without the choke on a cold start you are too rich.I went thru the same thing with one side not firing when it fouled the plugs and had to move needle clip up one notch.Now I went back to stock parts on my carb except for the float needle I believe and I think I'm running a 125 main jet vs a 120.
Mine starts on the first kick, dead cold, no choke. Too rich?

allthumbs
honda305.com Member

Post by allthumbs » Tue Jun 10, 2008 8:16 pm

I would say.

try to readjust the two screws to start. on the small flush one only go out 1-1/8 turns. then the idle screws to adjust to you ideal idle. see where that gets you

mine seems to work best at about 14-1500. it's a bit high I think but until I can get the jets cleaned I think it'll do

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home