Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

resetting points plate

Points Based Ignition | Electronic Ignition Upgrade
joeweir1
honda305.com Member

Post by joeweir1 » Tue Jun 03, 2008 7:16 pm

Thanks for the correction LM-Been alittlle while since I did it and must of got brain freeze there.Hate to give out misinformation if I can help it.Joe

allthumbs
honda305.com Member

Post by allthumbs » Mon Jun 09, 2008 5:27 pm

yes, thank you all. I charged the battery so I could see the light and got it right. the confusing thing is that Clymer tells you set right at it's most open point to .014 then says take it to T and set make sure it's within spec., then proceed to the points plate. Confusion. especially since I had it right when I replaced the points and used ed's instructions. now I think I know the drill

She runs great now.

invizibletouch
honda305.com Member

Post by invizibletouch » Mon Jun 09, 2008 11:16 pm

I'm in the SAME boat bro right over here: http://www.honda305.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2807

Glad you got it worked out! Mine's too loud and it's almost 11:30PM so I'll have to wait until tomorrow to hopefully get mine together.

allthumbs wrote:yes, thank you all. I charged the battery so I could see the light and got it right. the confusing thing is that Clymer tells you set right at it's most open point to .014 then says take it to T and set make sure it's within spec., then proceed to the points plate. Confusion. especially since I had it right when I replaced the points and used ed's instructions. now I think I know the drill

She runs great now.

JC
honda305.com Member

resetting points plate

Post by JC » Thu Jun 12, 2008 5:51 pm

I'm at this point also on my project '67 Scrambler. I need to clarify that the "cam lobe pointer" (on the end of the camshaft) is supposed to be pointing straight down (perpendicular to the ground) or does that mean in line with the centerline of the cylinders when the pointer is at "F"? Clymer is not clear on this. The previous owner rebuilt the top end and I'm afraid he installed the cam one tooth off because the cam lobe pointer is at about the 7 o'clock position when at "F".
Thanks for any help.

Jim

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Re: resetting points plate

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Thu Jun 12, 2008 6:50 pm

The line on the end of the points cam must be in line with the center line of the cylinder.
The rotor must be at "T". ...............lm

JC wrote:I'm at this point also on my project '67 Scrambler. I need to clarify that the "cam lobe pointer" (on the end of the camshaft) is supposed to be pointing straight down (perpendicular to the ground) or does that mean in line with the centerline of the cylinders when the pointer is at "F"? Clymer is not clear on this. The previous owner rebuilt the top end and I'm afraid he installed the cam one tooth off because the cam lobe pointer is at about the 7 o'clock position when at "F".
Thanks for any help.

Jim
RIDE IT DON'T HIDE IT!

JC
honda305.com Member

Post by JC » Thu Jun 12, 2008 8:26 pm

Thanks LM. That will be tonight's project to fix.

Jim

allthumbs
honda305.com Member

Post by allthumbs » Wed Jul 16, 2008 5:38 pm

revisiting my timing I seems to have set it off again. I'm trying to eliminate a popping-back firing on the left side.

I am following the proven method now, rt points set to .014, Light on at F-cam pointer down, then left points light on at LF 180 degree turn from F. cam pointer is only 90 degrees turned now. If its 180 (facing up) then I'm back at F- so I believe this is right.

now I fire it up- nice- idles good

I start to back it out and it revs way on up to 6k, no hand on throttle- shut her off, check timing again, adjust carbs- everything is good.

try again- same thing- revs to 4k now.

WOW- what happened?

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home