Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

new to forum need help

fracro131
honda305.com Member

new to forum need help

Post by fracro131 » Mon Jun 09, 2008 10:15 pm

I have a 1966 honda engine-ca77e-1012975. Ive owned this bike for about 25 yrs. It has set in the garage for years and not started. I recently got it out of the garage. I have cleaned the tank put new gas in it. The carburetor was leaking gas. I took it off and cleaned it and put a new carb kit in it. The bike started right up and ran good for about 5 10 minutes, then it started to fire on just 1 cylinder. I bought a new condenser, new points, new spark plug ends and new plugs. I replaced all gas lines. I started the bike ,it started right up and ran well for about 5mins. I rode it down the road and back and it was not idling just right. I was adjusting the air screws on the carb and again it started to run on 1 cylinder and stop running. now i cant get it to restart. This thing is driving me nuts. Can anyone offer any suggestions as to where to go from here. would greatly appreciate any help.

ramprat
honda305.com Member

Post by ramprat » Tue Jun 10, 2008 6:33 am

sounds similar to a problem I had a while ago. turned out the exhaust was plugged. sometimes mice like to build nests in the mufflers.

davomoto
honda305.com Member

Post by davomoto » Tue Jun 10, 2008 8:12 am

Welcome to the forum! Have you inspected plugs since the bike died? Are they a nice coco brown, our black and fouled? Try trimming about a 1/4 inch off the end of the plug wires, and re-attach caps. I don't use the needles that come in rebuild kits, as they aren't very consistent in the taper. Are the jets the same size as the ones you replaced? Is points gap and timing set correctly? Hopefully one or more of these is the issue. Be methodical and patient, and she will run like a champ!

davomoto

invizibletouch
honda305.com Member

Post by invizibletouch » Tue Jun 10, 2008 9:15 am

You can follow my posts as I've been doing the same thing for a couple months now! lol

Finally starting to understand what's up. Here's a Cliff's notes:

New battery. No spark. Trimmed plug wires. Set points to .014 at the highest cam lobe. Got spark. It's not a finished job as I neglected to set the points to OPEN at "F". That's gonna be today after work.

Spark but no fuel. Removed and cleaned carb. Got fuel now. One thing I did try was with the carb off, I shoved a rag soaked with gas into the intake and squeezed it a couple times to get it to fire off a couple times just for s & g's.

Got her to run but really rich and rough. And that's where I'm at now. My timing is off but thanks to the good folks here, it's almost right and hopefully will be solid later today.

Buy lot's of spark plugs. Every time you make a major modification, replace them. Read through EVERY post on this site and search for user "Loud Mouse" and read & learn. Guy's brilliant! Hope this helps! I'm by no means an expert but this is how I've gotten to at least enjoy some short rides. Good luck!

joeweir1
honda305.com Member

Post by joeweir1 » Tue Jun 10, 2008 3:58 pm

If you did use the new needle in the carb kit what position did you put the clip on?If the bike starts without the choke on a cold start you are too rich.I went thru the same thing with one side not firing when it fouled the plugs and had to move needle clip up one notch.Now I went back to stock parts on my carb except for the float needle I believe and I think I'm running a 125 main jet vs a 120.

fracro131
honda305.com Member

update

Post by fracro131 » Wed Jun 11, 2008 1:24 pm

Hi, Thank you for the quick response. Here is what was actually done to the carburetor. We cleaned the carburetor and jets twice. We replace the float. We used all the original jets.we did not change the needle in the top of the carb.. it should still be at factory settings. I had read that you should try to use the oringinal parts if possible. As for plugswires, we have already clipped them about 1/4 inch.
Update: I checked plugs this morning. they were black. I replaced plugs, bike started right up. has lots of power. seems to run okay took it for a ride about 5 mile, just as i got back to the house it acted like it was overloading with gas. pulled plugs and the were black. cleaned plugs put back in. turned air screw in 1/4 turn went for and other short ride when pulled up to house started overloading again. pulled plug out they were black. cleaned them, now no start.

Question#1. Could you tell me what the air screww and throttle screww setting are?
By this i mean once i snug them up how many round do i turn them out to get adjustments. it seems like the air screw doesnt make any difference unless its screwed all the way in or backed out about 5 turns.

Jim Stuart
honda305.com Member

New to Forum

Post by Jim Stuart » Wed Jun 11, 2008 2:23 pm

Sounds like the low speed jet is plugged.

Jim

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home