Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Points Wiring Game! Win BIG Prizes! CA77

invizibletouch
honda305.com Member

Points Wiring Game! Win BIG Prizes! CA77

Post by invizibletouch » Sat Jun 07, 2008 11:12 am

Removed the points from my CA77 and now I can't figure out how they wire back in. I swear I've tried every config and get nothing but wacky results. Please someone give me the number from the pic below where my wire goes...

Thanks guys!

kustommusic
honda305.com Member

Post by kustommusic » Sat Jun 07, 2008 9:38 pm

Inviz, I vote for #4. Although #1,2,and 3 would work as well. You want that wire (from the condenser) to go to ground only when the points close and make contact with each other. The contacts are clean arn't they? Good Luck! Kustommusic

joeweir1
honda305.com Member

Post by joeweir1 » Sat Jun 07, 2008 9:43 pm

Position #2.Between lock washer and flat washer.Thats how mine is and a spare plate I took off another CA77.That is why there is a insulator washer between the points spring and main body of points to isolate them.They look kind of rough.Joe
Attachments
000_0989.jpg

invizibletouch
honda305.com Member

Post by invizibletouch » Mon Jun 09, 2008 1:58 pm

Thanks guys! New points should be sitting in my mailbox as I type this. Will report back.

invizibletouch
honda305.com Member

Post by invizibletouch » Mon Jun 09, 2008 10:21 pm

Went with position #2 and had weird issues from the start. Then again this has been a strange journey from the start.

New coil and new points arrived today. Installed them.

Plugs out and grounded/earthed to the head. Spark when I CLOSE the points, not when open. I'm testing this by simply opening the points with a screwdriver and observing the plugs for spark. Check the [-] to the frame and clean it up and reattach with new hardware. Now I get spark correctly.

Set points to .014 at "F" with points cam notch leading down like /.

It runs! Terribly. Missing like mad BUT I am beginning to think I have a bad ground? I was adjusting the air mixture screw on the carb and the screwdriver I was using touched the frame while touching the carb and a light spark popped.

What are the chances I have an electrical issue making my bike to run like ass? No power, bogs under load, etc.

Second question is which is the correct #1 cylinder on a CA77 305? RH side? I'm still experimenting with the timing and getting more weird results I will report back with some videos.

Thanks again!

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Mon Jun 09, 2008 10:33 pm

Set the points to .014 at the high lobe area of the cam. Adjust plate so points OPEN at "F". ...........lm

invizibletouch wrote:Went with position #2 and had weird issues from the start. Then again this has been a strange journey from the start.

New coil and new points arrived today. Installed them.

Plugs out and grounded/earthed to the head. Spark when I CLOSE the points, not when open. I'm testing this by simply opening the points with a screwdriver and observing the plugs for spark. Check the [-] to the frame and clean it up and reattach with new hardware. Now I get spark correctly.

Set points to .014 at "F" with points cam notch leading down like /.

It runs! Terribly. Missing like mad BUT I am beginning to think I have a bad ground? I was adjusting the air mixture screw on the carb and the screwdriver I was using touched the frame while touching the carb and a light spark popped.

What are the chances I have an electrical issue making my bike to run like ass? No power, bogs under load, etc.

Second question is which is the correct #1 cylinder on a CA77 305? RH side? I'm still experimenting with the timing and getting more weird results I will report back with some videos.

Thanks again!
RIDE IT DON'T HIDE IT!

invizibletouch
honda305.com Member

Post by invizibletouch » Mon Jun 09, 2008 10:50 pm

Pics of timing setup.

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home