□ 
Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Engine running FAST or quitting---no in between

mustanger
honda305.com Member

Post by mustanger » Wed Jun 04, 2008 2:53 pm

Nice of you to offer, but I can't believe it's a rebuilding issue. The carb worked fine on the other bike. It's strange that the carb spacer help only partially. I'm thinking there's a bad seal on the engine side of the intake and the "make a gasket" goop didn't seal it completely. I need a new o ring and maybe more goop. Is there a good place to get o rings for these things?

invizibletouch
honda305.com Member

Post by invizibletouch » Wed Jun 04, 2008 3:40 pm

mustanger wrote:Nice of you to offer, but I can't believe it's a rebuilding issue. The carb worked fine on the other bike. It's strange that the carb spacer help only partially. I'm thinking there's a bad seal on the engine side of the intake and the "make a gasket" goop didn't seal it completely. I need a new o ring and maybe more goop. Is there a good place to get o rings for these things?
Got mine at Ace Hardware.

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Wed Jun 04, 2008 4:06 pm

Good luck. ..............lm

mustanger wrote:Nice of you to offer, but I can't believe it's a rebuilding issue. The carb worked fine on the other bike. It's strange that the carb spacer help only partially. I'm thinking there's a bad seal on the engine side of the intake and the "make a gasket" goop didn't seal it completely. I need a new o ring and maybe more goop. Is there a good place to get o rings for these things?

mustanger
honda305.com Member

Post by mustanger » Tue Jun 17, 2008 9:09 am

Well its two weeks later and I'm back and I haven't advanced the ball much. I ordered a box of o-rings and put nice big fat new ones in the carb spacer and the carb itself. Now I've got a bike that runs for a 3-4 seconds then quits. To get it started, I follow the owner's manual and close the choke, open the trottle, turn off the key and give the kick start a couple of pumps to get gas in the cylinders. Then I open the choke a little and press the starter and it starts. It runs at a normal speed for maybe a second, then seems to increase then dies. If I open the throttle in time, I can prevent or I should say postpone it from stopping, but it's a real touchy control to keep it running at a normal speed: it wants to either run fast or quit. This all fits in with the vacuum leak theory, but I'm running out of places to look for vacuum leaks. On a bike there aren't that many anyway. I adjusted the carb floats up and down to vary the fuel being sucked in, but can't find any carb adjustment that suits it. Again, I've got two bikes and this carb worked fine on the other bike and the original carb from the problem bike is sitting on the other bike and working fine.

Anybody got any advice other than to just ride the other bike?

rebelbob
honda305.com Member

Post by rebelbob » Fri Jul 04, 2008 8:01 pm

It's either leaning out from starving for gas or a vacuum leak at the intake manifold.
I had a CA110 do this earlier this year and it was a split in the intake manifold. a gasket can do the same thing but I would suspect the engine is not getting enough gas check for a clogged petcock by pulling off the gas line and turning the gas on to see if a good stream flows or if it just dribbles out.

rebelbob
honda305.com Member

Post by rebelbob » Fri Jul 04, 2008 8:01 pm

It's either leaning out from starving for gas or a vacuum leak at the intake manifold.
I had a CA110 do this earlier this year and it was a split in the intake manifold. a gasket can do the same thing but I would suspect the engine is not getting enough gas check for a clogged petcock by pulling off the gas line and turning the gas on to see if a good stream flows or if it just dribbles out.

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home