Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Petcock feed tube cracked

Fuel System: Gas (Petrol) tanks, Carburators
mopower
honda305.com Member

Petcock feed tube cracked

Post by mopower » Tue May 22, 2007 8:17 pm

I started cleaning out my petcock and I noticed a crack in the feed tube running its entire length. Is it hosed now? It seems to me that as long as it doesn't crack into the petcock body it should be okay, but I don't know...

dizcod
honda305.com Member

Post by dizcod » Mon May 28, 2007 5:56 pm

Same exact thing happened to me. Took apart the Petcock to clean it and sure enough the long brass tube had a nice sized crack in it towards the bottom. Not sure if it will affect the suction of the fuel or not . Should be able to go to your local hardware store and get a piece of brass tubing and replace it, also not sure if they use some kind of glue or not to secure it in place and seal it. Good luck. Dizcod

CBX-tras
honda305.com Member

Post by CBX-tras » Sun Apr 27, 2008 6:10 pm

I'm checking old posts looking for information on petcocks for the 305 when I came across this one.......
I saw the same thing on mine. I suspect it's due to water collecting and freezing in the Winter or just a vibration crack. Don't forget its unsupported brass just shaking in there like crazy. The same thing will happen to a license plate without support.

The petcock on my newly acquired CB77 has been jazzed-up by previous owners so I'm looking at using the cb 450 petcock (still available from Honda). I'll drill in a port and pressing in a nipple for the crossover tube.

Has anyone tried this before since the part for the CB77 is NLA?

BTW, if your concerned about the crack in the brass tube, just go to the auto parts store and get some of that transparant yellow fuel hose (it's thin) buy the right size and slide it down to cover the entire length of the tube. Fuel won't leak in then.

J.R.

305 nutt
honda305.com Member

cracked tube

Post by 305 nutt » Sun Apr 27, 2008 10:25 pm

I have taken cracked or broken tubes and drilled them out and lightly tapping in a piece of 3/16 automotive brake line. It actually wont hurt not having the tube or if its cracked, just wont have reserve if its missing. Once she's out of gas thats it none for reserve. Hope this helps. nutt

davomoto
honda305.com Member

Post by davomoto » Mon Apr 28, 2008 9:35 am

I've run into the same problem with the brass tubes in the float bowl. I removed the tube, and took it to my local hobby shop to match it up. I was able to find the exact diameter brass tube, cut it to correct length, and tapped it in until it seated. No more float bowl leak! You should be able to do the same for the petcock.

davomoto

splitenz
honda305.com Member

Post by splitenz » Mon Apr 28, 2008 6:48 pm

maybe a stupid question but can it be soldered?

ivancook
honda305.com Member

Post by ivancook » Tue Dec 22, 2009 10:16 am

I'm restoring a CB77 that has been sitting for a very long time. When I removed the petcock from the tank the feeder tube was completely cracked apart and in very bad condition.

I'm having a hard time trying to remove it from the body. Does it have to be drilled out? ...or can it be tapped out?

Is there a replacement part available or should I just look for new brass tubing to fit? Cant find anything in the parts catalog...

Thanks in advance.

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home