honda305 Home honda305 Auctions honda305 Gallery honda305 Forum

honda305.com Forum

□
Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

ahhh back fire

Points Based Ignition | Electronic Ignition Upgrade
C.N.
honda305.com Member
Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2007 8:20 am

Post by C.N. » Thu Mar 20, 2008 12:35 am

Thanks, I'm gonna check timing first per your instructions, just wanted to know what I might be up against. If it were easy everybody would be doing it. I'm getting quite an education. Thanks lm!
C.N.

cknight
honda305.com Member
Joined: Wed Apr 05, 2006 3:55 pm
Location: Daytona Beach, FL

Post by cknight » Thu Mar 20, 2008 9:33 am

As much as I'm in favor of fixing things properly as LM has advised, if the cam timing is correct, and the ONLY thing "wrong" is the points cam being installed 180 degrees out (indicated by the line on the end of the cam pointing "up" parallel with the cylinders, instead of "down" when the right cylinder is at top dead center firing), I believe that to once again install the points plate assembly "upside down" is a convenient way out, if you're just interested in getting it running. The wiring from the points to the condensor will be a bit taut, and you will need to make sure that the wire terminals that bolt to the points aren't grounding against the points plate or against the points cover. (Yes, I've "fixed" this error a few times over the years, by taking this shortcut.) To remove the followers will also require removing the cylinder head, and I'm not sure of how much effort you want to put into this project. If you want a good education on these engines, have the time and the tools, and are willing to purchase a gasket set, engine manual (the Bill Silver CD is invaluable), and other associated items, then get that thing disassembled and do it right! Regards, Chase

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member
Joined: Mon Aug 15, 2005 8:23 am
Location: KERRVILLE, TEXAS

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Thu Mar 20, 2008 9:48 am

You're right Chase.
Now realizing that it really isn't necessary to remove the followers just remove the adjusting screws from the followers so the lobes will allow the cam to move just enough to allow the points cam to be rotated.
Some time back I had replaced a R/S cam without removing the followers and I forgot that I would have had to remove the 4 studs to remove the followers.
Thanks for the reminder. ..........emo

Chase Knight wrote:

> Good Morning Ed,
> Unless I'm really missing the obvious, to remove the followers, the follower shafts will have to be pulled out, and the cylinder studs sort of lock them in. I've personally never had much success pulling the studs out from the top, but you have a lot more experience with that than I do. Hey, I'm always learning, too! Any additional info would be much appreciated.
>
> Thanks, Chase

Why is it necessary to remove the head to remove the cam followers?
Complete job should take a couple of hours and no new parts. .............lm

cknight wrote:As much as I'm in favor of fixing things properly as LM has advised, if the cam timing is correct, and the ONLY thing "wrong" is the points cam being installed 180 degrees out (indicated by the line on the end of the cam pointing "up" parallel with the cylinders, instead of "down" when the right cylinder is at top dead center firing), I believe that to once again install the points plate assembly "upside down" is a convenient way out, if you're just interested in getting it running. The wiring from the points to the condensor will be a bit taut, and you will need to make sure that the wire terminals that bolt to the points aren't grounding against the points plate or against the points cover. (Yes, I've "fixed" this error a few times over the years, by taking this shortcut.) To remove the followers will also require removing the cylinder head, and I'm not sure of how much effort you want to put into this project. If you want a good education on these engines, have the time and the tools, and are willing to purchase a gasket set, engine manual (the Bill Silver CD is invaluable), and other associated items, then get that thing disassembled and do it right! Regards, Chase

C.N.
honda305.com Member
Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2007 8:20 am

Post by C.N. » Thu Mar 20, 2008 10:57 am

What can I say? Many thanks again lm and cknight--C.N.

Post Reply
cron

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home