honda305.com Forum

Login
□ Search
□ FAQ 
□ 
Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Tubes to nowhere on Bottom of Carb Bowls?

Fuel System: Gas (Petrol) tanks, Carburators
dickinraleigh
honda305.com Member

Post by dickinraleigh » Sat Mar 01, 2008 3:04 am

Loud Mouse
I purchased a 1967 Honda 305 Superhawk in 1968 from the original owner. If it wasn't for my friend with the CA95 150 dream running out of gas so many times I wouldn't have remembered taking the bowl off so many times. I had to unplug the hose and 1 bowl at a time get gas into his tank. I sold the Superhawk in late 1970 as I was young and had beat the hell out of it. Rear swingarm problems. Worn rear engine frame holes etc. Had picked up a dream that its kicker arm kept hitting me in the back of the leg. That is when I learned about the transmission problems. I had a 305 Chopper and last CB77 was bought in 75. Its engine was questionable so I replaced it with a dream engine. Had to swap all the cylinder studs and top plate. Had a load of parts accumulated and had 4 friends with CB77's too. Basically I got out of the 305s as I had gotten married and wife let me get a new bike. Cleveland had a decent dealer in the 60s and maybe the hoses were added. The earliest hawk I have ever seen with my own eyes was a 1963. I do know about the different cylinder base gaskets. Install the wrong one and kiss you top end goodby. I might as well quit trying to buy parts off ebay. These bikes are made of gold. Keep getting sniped.
Dick in Raleigh
<><

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Sat Mar 01, 2008 4:18 am

Thank you for the reply Dick.
As I said (When these bikes were delivered HONDA didn't have tubes on them. (EVER)
You bought it from the previous owner and like today Folks think the brass tube is a overflow tube and put hose on them and all to often the engine has problems at high RPM or idle.
Granted not all but last year I worked with several owners having engine problems and when they told me the carbs have hose on them and they removed it the problems went away.
I ride a blue 1963 SH at this time and have restored several of the early engines with the 8 hole base gaskets and over all the years I've been helping others there have been 2 who ask why their engine leaked oil from the front after they had done a top end rehab.
YEP! They put a 8 hole (early) gasket on the 9 hole case/cylinder assy. .................lm
dickinraleigh wrote:Loud Mouse
I purchased a 1967 Honda 305 Superhawk in 1968 from the original owner. If it wasn't for my friend with the CA95 150 dream running out of gas so many times I wouldn't have remembered taking the bowl off so many times. I had to unplug the hose and 1 bowl at a time get gas into his tank. I sold the Superhawk in late 1970 as I was young and had beat the hell out of it. Rear swingarm problems. Worn rear engine frame holes etc. Had picked up a dream that its kicker arm kept hitting me in the back of the leg. That is when I learned about the transmission problems. I had a 305 Chopper and last CB77 was bought in 75. Its engine was questionable so I replaced it with a dream engine. Had to swap all the cylinder studs and top plate. Had a load of parts accumulated and had 4 friends with CB77's too. Basically I got out of the 305s as I had gotten married and wife let me get a new bike. Cleveland had a decent dealer in the 60s and maybe the hoses were added. The earliest hawk I have ever seen with my own eyes was a 1963. I do know about the different cylinder base gaskets. Install the wrong one and kiss you top end goodby. I might as well quit trying to buy parts off ebay. These bikes are made of gold. Keep getting sniped.
Dick in Raleigh
<><

dickinraleigh
honda305.com Member

Post by dickinraleigh » Sat Mar 01, 2008 5:06 am

Loud Mouse,
I don't dought your reply. The P.O. did work for Goldengate Honda in Mayfield Hts Ohio (Cleveland). I found this picture showing hoses. I did go on to other classic bikes. 1970 H1 Kawasak, 1976 RE5A, RD250, KH400, Silverwing, Silverwing Interstate, CB350F with NOS pipes. Had to hang up the helmet this year. Wrenchs are still being used. Dick <><
Attachments
66_cb77.jpg

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home