Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

valve timing

Paul
honda305.com Member

valve timing

Post by Paul » Mon Apr 12, 2004 8:57 pm

<br /> I'm reassembling my 305 engine and would like to know how to properly install the timing chain. Which timing marks do I use.

wyztek
honda305.com Member

Re: valve timing

Post by wyztek » Wed Apr 14, 2004 11:39 pm

Hi Paul,<br /><br />According to Clymer's Honda Service/Repair Handbook, the crankshaft 'T' mark on the generator rotor is lined up with the stator indicator mark. <br />AND the camshaft is turned until the 'punch mark' on the camshaft sprocket lines up the punch mark on the cylinder head. I don't exactly remember where the punch mark on the cylinder head is, but the diagram shows the camshaft sprocket lined up so the punch mark on it is at the very top of its rotation if you draw a line through the center of the camshaft to the center of the crankshaft.<br /><br />Install the camchain master link so it's closed end is toward the direction of normal rotation.<br /><br />Next: install the cam chain tensioner but loosen the adjuster bolt. Rotate the crankshaft 180 degrees (The T mark is opposit the stator indicator) and tighten the tensioner. This automatically tightens the cam chain to the proper tension.<br />

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home