Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Removing CA77 Engine

honda carl
honda305.com Member

Removing CA77 Engine

Post by honda carl » Sun Oct 22, 2017 2:39 pm

I need to remove a CA77 engine to work on it. There are 4 bolts that hold it to the frame: two on top and two on bottom. The top two are easy, but the bottom two are very rusty and difficult to access (the nuts are inside the pressed metal frame). How do I remove the lower two bolts and what tool do you use to loosen the nuts inside the frame? Thanks for any help.

DianneB
honda305.com Member

Post by DianneB » Sun Oct 22, 2017 4:00 pm

I would suggest holding the nut (or bolt head, whichever is inside) with a stout box-end wrench or impact socket on an L-handle ("breaking bar") and go at the outside part with another box-end (or L-handle) and a hammer or impact wrench. It will either come loose or break the bolt - either one works!

honda carl
honda305.com Member

Removing CA77 Engine

Post by honda carl » Sun Oct 22, 2017 8:20 pm

Thanks, Dianne. I tried a box end wrench for the inside nut but it was too long and didn't fit. Hopefully, I can find a "stout" one that will fit. Nothing else will work because there is very little space (maybe 2" gap) in between the two inside nuts, so nothing with a socket will work. I tried a box end wrench on the outside bolt head without success. I'll need to remove the stator cover and kickstarter to use a breaker bar.

Thanks for the reply.

cadman
honda305.com Member

Engine

Post by cadman » Sun Oct 29, 2017 9:00 pm

Use a 6 point long socket - I use an impact - you might try soaking with a little PB Blaster - that seems to work fairly well - I have also use a bit of heat.

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home