Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Help me with tbhe advance springs please

silverclerk@gmail.com
honda305.com Member

Help me with tbhe advance springs please

Post by silverclerk@gmail.com » Sat Jan 15, 2011 7:43 pm

Hey all,
My motor is more or less apart. I want to replace the advance spring on my cam sprocket however I cannot get the cam to come out of the head. I had loosened up that big nut in the middle of the cam already. What next? Do I have to knock those bearings out the sides of the head? Also, I've forgotten which way I have to turn that big nut to tighten it back up later? There was a link on here somewhere but I cannot find it.
Thanks in advance brothers

305 nut
honda305.com Member

springs

Post by 305 nut » Sat Jan 15, 2011 7:50 pm

My best suggestion is if all you doing is replacing the springs, take a real small pair of needle nose pliers and change them with the cam in the head. If you remove the cams, you will have to set up your end play or you run the risk of them being too tight or loose, and that is a pain if you've never done it before. I've done it 4 or 5 times and its tedious. Anyways if you loosen the big nut and the other nut on the end of the cam, the bearings drive out with the cams. Be careful not to scar the bearing journals or that will make it difficult to install. If I remember right the big nut is left hand thread, but you better check with LM first. Good luck, hope this helps.

silverclerk@gmail.com
honda305.com Member

Post by silverclerk@gmail.com » Mon Jan 17, 2011 6:21 pm

Thanks 305,
I have tried pulling them off with needle nose but it is hard, you have any hints on your technique? And for those who click on this thread looking for the thread I was looking for, here ya' go.
http://www.honda305.com/forums/viewtopi ... hlight=cam

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Re: springs

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Mon Jan 17, 2011 7:17 pm

Set what end play?. ................lm

305 nut wrote:My best suggestion is if all you doing is replacing the springs, take a real small pair of needle nose pliers and change them with the cam in the head. If you remove the cams, you will have to set up your end play or you run the risk of them being too tight or loose, and that is a pain if you've never done it before. I've done it 4 or 5 times and its tedious. Anyways if you loosen the big nut and the other nut on the end of the cam, the bearings drive out with the cams. Be careful not to scar the bearing journals or that will make it difficult to install. If I remember right the big nut is left hand thread, but you better check with LM first. Good luck, hope this helps.

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home