Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Engine running FAST or quitting---no in between

mustanger
honda305.com Member

Engine running FAST or quitting---no in between

Post by mustanger » Thu May 29, 2008 9:50 am

Dear Dreamers:

My 305 came out of winter hibernation with an annoying problem. When it starts, it runs like a rocket. I can bring down the rpms with the throttle or opening the choke, but it's like walking a tight rope in either case. The engine just won't run at a normal speed. Bringing down the rpms causes it to stop. You can sometimes prevent this stopping by turning the throttle up again or closing the choke, but then it's back to running like a rocket. Sooner or later you'll turn it down too much and lose it. So if you're following this, it will only run with lots of gas and at high rpm.

The carburetor you say? Well I've got two bikes and I swapped carbs and the problem stayed with the original bike. The other bike ran fine on the problem bike's carb. I checked the timing and point gap too and they seem alright. Now I'm out of ideas.

Can any of you help?

Jim Stuart
honda305.com Member

racing engine

Post by Jim Stuart » Thu May 29, 2008 12:37 pm

Sounds like its leaning out. Check low speed jets for blockage. Also for sticking slides.

Jim

mustanger
honda305.com Member

Post by mustanger » Thu May 29, 2008 12:52 pm

Thanks for you reply

It sounds like you don't believe it's not the carburetor. I'm having trouble believing it too, but like I said, the bike runs the same way with either of two carburetors and another bike runs fine on either carb. That makes it hard to blame the carburetion

Is there anything else it could be? and BTW I didn't understand what you said about sticking slides.

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Thu May 29, 2008 12:54 pm

Is the slide going to the bottom of the carb?. ...............lm

mustanger wrote:Thanks for you reply

It sounds like you don't believe it's not the carburetor. I'm having trouble believing it too, but like I said, the bike runs the same way with either of two carburetors and another bike runs fine on either carb. That makes it hard to blame the carburetion

Is there anything else it could be? and BTW I didn't understand what you said about sticking slides.
RIDE IT DON'T HIDE IT!

honda305.com Member

Post by 305 » Thu May 29, 2008 12:56 pm

could be a vacuum leak

mustanger
honda305.com Member

Post by mustanger » Thu May 29, 2008 1:41 pm

That's a good point!!!!!!!! Now, where's the best place to look for a vacuum leak on a little motorcycle engine?

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Thu May 29, 2008 2:21 pm

Did you look down the throat of the carb and make sure the cable or something else is holding the slide off bottom?. .............lm

mustanger wrote:That's a good point!!!!!!!! Now, where's the best place to look for a vacuum leak on a little motorcycle engine?
RIDE IT DON'T HIDE IT!

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home