□ 
Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Popping/backfiring?

Jlovvorn
honda305.com Member

Post by Jlovvorn » Tue Apr 10, 2012 9:37 pm

Bearings and chain from Classic Honda Rest.

Tensioner from Fleabay.

I have been practicing on the spare heaed and worked out a system with a dental floss safety line so the spring doesnt fall down in the engine, and a wire that you thread through the hook end of the spring and then pull to take the springs off.

Works pretty good.

The problem is my efforts to rebend the springs to tighten them up have not been very sucessful.

I will post an update this weekend - dont want to highjack this thread further.

PS Check your cam play!!

milestones54
honda305.com Member

Post by milestones54 » Wed Apr 11, 2012 5:05 am

Jlovvorn
What am I looking for with the points cam?

I have synch'd the slides and established they don't stick (at least at semi-cooled temp)
My right side muffler is not attached at the footpeg section as this has broken off. Will a loose muffler be very detrimental?

Thanks a lot for your help guys

Jlovvorn
honda305.com Member

Post by Jlovvorn » Wed Apr 11, 2012 6:35 am

Take a look at my resto thread. There is a video.

Take off the points cover.

Grab the round points cam shaft with your hand or a tool and see if it wiggles clockwise or counterclockwise before you feel spring resistance.

If it moves more than one hour on the clock, ie like mine from 11-2, then the springs are probably shot.

This seems to be a common problem on these bikes and causes all manner of problems.

Yours is probably fine but better to confirm it, since it's easy to check, before spending time on carb tuning, timing, etc.

Other folks that know more than me may have other thoughts or advice. I am no expert.

conbs
honda305.com Member

Cam slop

Post by conbs » Thu Apr 12, 2012 11:41 am

Miles, if I understand your question you are looking to see if the springs are stretched. They have a normal range of motion, but if stretched, there will be some slop between at-rest and when they start to engage.

If you are not pulling the engine to take a look, you may want to check with a timing light to see if your timing jumps around, does not advance smoothly or advances too far (38 degrees?). Hope that helps.

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home