honda305.com Forum

Login
□ Search
□ FAQ 
□ 
Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Installing cam chain from classichondarestoration?

Mike Mullins
honda305.com Member

re:cam chain

Post by Mike Mullins » Sun Jul 03, 2011 8:10 pm

Nander: I just installed a cam chain in my '67 Super Hawk. What I did was split the new chain, and split the old chain ( having packed the cavity with paper towels so as not to drop anything down the passage into the engine. I then wired the new chain to the old chain with some strands of copper wire stripped from some scrap wire, and used the old chain to pull the new chain through the engine (after having removed the paper towels.) At this point you must make sure that the marks line up and the cam is in the right place. If not, you can give the chain some slack and use a wrench to tune the rotor till the T mark is in place and the a screwdriver or other tool to orient the cam sprocket correctly. (You must back off the adjusting screws on the rocker arms in order to turn the cam. One will still have some pressure, but that's OK) When everything is lined up, insert the new master link and press it together with the Motion Pro tool. (At this point I found it handy to pack the cavity again with the papertowels so that ham- fisted me didnt drop the link or side plate into the engine. Make sure you use the correct stem in the motion pro tool. Dont be bashful about cranking it down when you rivet it into place.
Hope this helps.
Mike Mullins (mikeyrx)
"a free motorcycle is a bottomless hole intended solely for money"
66 CB 77
76 BMW R75/6
99 GL 1500 trike
75 & 79 XS 650's

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home