□ 
Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

engine oil

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Thu Jul 07, 2016 4:38 pm

I'll use any oil or any other item I deem fit whether it agrees with you or anyone who disagrees with my years with these particular bikes/engines.
But unlike you and others I won't chastise (use certain words) to make my point. ............lm
masonmart wrote:
LOUD MOUSE wrote:Would you say VALVOLINE 30W ND is LOW QUALITY?. ............lm

No LM, what I'm saying is that using mono grade oil is just a poor quality choice for any bike. Also that using a non-detergent oil is a poor quality choice and that not moving with developments in lubricant technology is a low quality choice too. The best quality choice for any bike is to use modern oils but we have to moderate our choice based on mileage, etc. The last thing we should do is use 30 grade oil because it says to do so on our 1963 bikes. The CB77 has no design features that would preclude the use of modern oils.

Best wishes, MM

Tim Allman
honda305.com Member

Post by Tim Allman » Fri Jul 08, 2016 9:56 am

G-Man wrote:Interesting indeed.....

This is the oil recommendation from my CB72/77 Owner's handbook published 1966.

And here is the rather contradictory oil change recommendation.

The 'periodic maintenance' guide says change every 600 miles or thereabouts but the previous page says change at 1000 mile intervals unless you are riding hard, then every 300 miles.

My CL77 manual says that you should change every 300 miles if you are riding in winter or if you only do short trips.....

My Dream manual says change every 2000 miles.

G
I think that one of the reasons that motor oil discussions get so heated (to say the least) is that the recommendations changed over time and with location. My owner's manual is also printed in 1966 but was sold in Canada and has slightly different recommendations. Others have found other recommendations in their manuals.

Clearly these engines thrive (or at least they don't fail catastrophically) on SAE 30 ND in Texas. But, in my part of the world at the ends of the season, the morning temperature is often around freezing so a straight grade would not be my first choice for my motorcycle. I am however, quite happy to use it in my lawn mower.

sixtiescycle
honda305.com Member

Post by sixtiescycle » Sat Jul 09, 2016 11:53 am

The undisputed facts are Honda recommended 30w non-detergent oil prior to 1966, after that they recommended single or multi-grade detergent oil. That being said, according to the manufacturers recommendations I should be using 30w non-detergent oil in my two '63 CL72's and my '65 CL77, my'66 CB77 gets single or multi grade detergent oil.

Be this forum or any other forum no one is going to agree which is the best oil for any engine built in the 60's or 70's. I've researched many well written articles to determine what would be the best choice that I think I should use. Based on my research I use what I use. The one item that is brought up in just about every article is the absence of zinc (zddp) in modern oils. I would suggest when picking an oil to use you do your homework on zinc. It has been reduced in modern oils because it damages catalytic convertors. It is a very effective anti wear additive.

After the last one of these "oil" discussions I swore I'd never get into another one!!!!
Dick Johnson
'61 CB92
'63 domestic CL72 Type 2
'63 CL72
'65 CL77
'66 CB77
'67 CB450D
'71 SL350
'71 XS1B

masonmart
honda305.com Member

Post by masonmart » Sun Jul 10, 2016 5:32 pm

Any engineer will know that the development of lubricants far outpaces the development of engines. I wouldn't trust any engine of mine to somebody who would put hinge oil in it rather than a modern quality lubricant on the basis that he knew best.

LM, why would you use such an antiquated oil spec when so much better quality is available?

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Sun Jul 10, 2016 11:40 pm

Get a life mister!
I don't question your ideas and haven't ask you for advice or told you what you do is wrong.
As far as I'm concerned you could use water in your engine and it wouldn't bother me a bit but for some STUPID reason you and others attempt to have me do WHAT YOU THINK IS BEST.
You are wasting your time so find someone else to advise. .............lm

masonmart wrote:Any engineer will know that the development of lubricants far outpaces the development of engines. I wouldn't trust any engine of mine to somebody who would put hinge oil in it rather than a modern quality lubricant on the basis that he knew best.

LM, why would you use such an antiquated oil spec when so much better quality is available?

Al Urquhar
honda305.com Member

Post by Al Urquhar » Mon Jul 11, 2016 3:13 am

'As far as I'm concerned you could use water in your engine...'

Interesting that you should say that LM. Back in the 1930's a couple of characters were trekking across Africa in an Austin 7 and had the misfortune to hit a rock and lose all their engine oil. Not having a handy Walmart nearby and no supply of oil on board they were stuck. Necessity being the mother of invention however, they made up a very thick mix of soap and water, filled the crudely-repaired sump with that and drove on their way. Whether or not the soapy mixture contained zinc additives, stability enhancers and so on was not actually mentioned in the report...

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Mon Jul 11, 2016 6:04 am

Very interesting.
Sounds like they tried the only thing available at the time and it worked.
Thanks for sharing..............lm
Al Urquhar wrote:'As far as I'm concerned you could use water in your engine...'

Interesting that you should say that LM. Back in the 1930's a couple of characters were trekking across Africa in an Austin 7 and had the misfortune to hit a rock and lose all their engine oil. Not having a handy Walmart nearby and no supply of oil on board they were stuck. Necessity being the mother of invention however, they made up a very thick mix of soap and water, filled the crudely-repaired sump with that and drove on their way. Whether or not the soapy mixture contained zinc additives, stability enhancers and so on was not actually mentioned in the report...

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home