□ 
Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Engine running FAST or quitting---no in between

joeweir1
honda305.com Member

Post by joeweir1 » Tue Jun 03, 2008 2:37 pm

I'd say not likely at all it is the plugs.Make sure the spacer is on correctly too(o-ring towards engine).When you checked your points did you happen to make sure the cam end your points is actuated by springs back if you turn it.Not sure if that could be any cause for your problem or not(probably not), but something to check.

mustanger
honda305.com Member

Post by mustanger » Wed Jun 04, 2008 9:14 am

OK I'm making progress!

I swapped carb spacers last night and used this "make a gasket" goop to help seal it. Both spacers had flattened o rings and the one in the problem bike was a little worse than the other. Anyway, with the new gooped up spacer, I can now get the bike to run at a normal speed. The throttle is still really delicate and its hard to get the throttle or choke in a position where it runs at a moderate speed----but it's not impossible like it used to be. I can now climb off the bike and fiddle with the carb screws and throttle cable adjustment and the choke in order to hunt for settings that work. I haven't been able to find them yet. The RPMs are still uneven: that is the engine speed goes up and down a bit, but as I said it's up and down centering around 800rpms, not 8000. I took the carb apart this morning and cleaned all the little holes and it didn't help. But at least I can get off the bike and work on it.

So thanks to everyone for your help. Any more suggestions on uneven running?

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Wed Jun 04, 2008 9:24 am

May I recommend you go the FAQ section of this forum then print the How
I tune my engine information and follow the carb setting info. It works......................lm

mustanger wrote:OK I'm making progress!

I swapped carb spacers last night and used this "make a gasket" goop to help seal it. Both spacers had flattened o rings and the one in the problem bike was a little worse than the other. Anyway, with the new gooped up spacer, I can now get the bike to run at a normal speed. The throttle is still really delicate and its hard to get the throttle or choke in a position where it runs at a moderate speed----but it's not impossible like it used to be. I can now climb off the bike and fiddle with the carb screws and throttle cable adjustment and the choke in order to hunt for settings that work. I haven't been able to find them yet. The RPMs are still uneven: that is the engine speed goes up and down a bit, but as I said it's up and down centering around 800rpms, not 8000. I took the carb apart this morning and cleaned all the little holes and it didn't help. But at least I can get off the bike and work on it.

So thanks to everyone for your help. Any more suggestions on uneven running?
RIDE IT DON'T HIDE IT!

mustanger
honda305.com Member

Post by mustanger » Wed Jun 04, 2008 11:22 am

I'm not sure where this FAQ section is but what else is there aside from the float level, the air mixture crew and the idle speed screw?

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Wed Jun 04, 2008 11:26 am

Go to the home page and on the left in the yellow area is the FAQ section.
The proper way to adjust each so they are correct with each other. ...........lm

mustanger wrote:I'm not sure where this FAQ section is but what else is there aside from the float level, the air mixture crew and the idle speed screw?
RIDE IT DON'T HIDE IT!

mustanger
honda305.com Member

Post by mustanger » Wed Jun 04, 2008 11:41 am

I believe that's a set of instructions for a bike with 2 carbs. My bike, a CA77 has only one carb.

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Wed Jun 04, 2008 2:07 pm

Sorry. I missed that. Well ya can send the carb to me and I can rebuild it for ya. I've done many for folks on the forum and am 100% for carbs which work when installed. ...........lm

mustanger wrote:I believe that's a set of instructions for a bike with 2 carbs. My bike, a CA77 has only one carb.
RIDE IT DON'T HIDE IT!

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home