□ 
Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Turning over CB77 305 by hand?

Carson
honda305.com Member

Post by Carson » Tue Nov 13, 2007 12:13 pm

so I tryed both the wrench on the magneto and the rocking method. I coulnt get it to move forwards or backwards.

The magneto method seemed like it wasint turning anything just tightening down

any other ideas?

this bike has been repained it looks to me at least 2 times now. I knew off the bat the Red paint was wrong. the forks were stil black and the fenders and air filter covers are red when they should have been grey. I thought that it was origonaly black but today when i took a closer look the frame is acctualy blue. the swing arm is most obvously blue and the frame stil has some color in a few sports. the rear shock covers are also blue under the red paint. the fenders are also white on the insides in spots. did i maybe come across a frankenstien bike?

I'll get some pictures up soon.

Carson

clockworkorange
honda305.com Member

Post by clockworkorange » Tue Nov 13, 2007 1:57 pm

After all those years of sitting comatose there could be some serious amounts of oxidation in those cylinders. If you're a religeous man you can continue the oil soak and pray that it finally lets go. You can also try a little heat on the jugs from a propane torch, just be careful around fuel and oil with an open flame.

At any rate at this point we have to start questioning the integrety of the slugs and jugs.Not to mention the dried out, hardened up seals and gaskets that are going to cause you to open up that patient anyway.

One question for you though, are you sure this thing ran when it was left to sit all those years ago?!
Yeah, I know the voices in my head aren't real, but sometimes they make an excellent point!!!

Carson
honda305.com Member

Post by Carson » Tue Nov 13, 2007 6:58 pm

K maybe I'll just have to keep lubing and working on it.

Your probably right about having to take it all apart anyway. It would be nice to get it to turn over before I invest 2 weeks in resealing the whole engine.

Well It's been ran quite a bit. Its got 11k on the odomiter. Nither the guy or the guy he got it from has had it running. It came from an estate sale years ago. Last time it was regestered was in 1985, I'm guessing the person who owned it just got old and tired of riding and garaged it.

Carson
honda305.com Member

Post by Carson » Tue Nov 13, 2007 7:27 pm

photos

Carson
honda305.com Member

Post by Carson » Tue Nov 13, 2007 8:47 pm

Hey guys,
I think got the pistons moving around by yanking the kick start back and forth, but I'm kind of washy about if that acctually moves the pistons back and forth though. I'm going to order a gasket set and start taking the engine apart tommrow.

clockworkorange
honda305.com Member

Post by clockworkorange » Wed Nov 14, 2007 10:07 am

Looks like you have quite the project there for your first attempt at a resto! Good luck and keep us posted with progress.
Yeah, I know the voices in my head aren't real, but sometimes they make an excellent point!!!

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Wed Nov 14, 2007 7:07 pm

Forget the kick start and remove that round bright aluminum cover and get to the 14mm bolt at the rotor. Now turn it clockwise. May I ask your age?. ..................lm

Carson wrote:Hey guys,
I think got the pistons moving around by yanking the kick start back and forth, but I'm kind of washy about if that acctually moves the pistons back and forth though. I'm going to order a gasket set and start taking the engine apart tommrow.

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home