□ 
Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Boring costs?

jensey
honda305.com Member

Post by jensey » Thu Jan 28, 2016 2:30 pm

You assume that the quality of boring is always the same and not depending on price ?
assembly of Japanese motorcycles requires great peace of mind (Pirsig)

jugger18
honda305.com Member

Post by jugger18 » Thu Jan 28, 2016 2:31 pm

In most cases I have found that assuming higher price = higher quality has not been true. I will take personal recommendations into higher consideration

jugger18
honda305.com Member

Post by jugger18 » Thu Jan 28, 2016 2:32 pm

That being said. Is there any specific questions I should be asking to assure I am getting a quality job?

jensey
honda305.com Member

Post by jensey » Thu Jan 28, 2016 2:33 pm

I don't say that a higher price is a better bore, I say you may have your priority's wrong.
assembly of Japanese motorcycles requires great peace of mind (Pirsig)

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

BORE

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Thu Jan 28, 2016 8:01 pm

I've used this shop since 2000 and always a good job.
I know that the chances that a real machine shop will cost a bit more as there is a shop of professionals doing the work. ....................lm
jensey wrote:I don't say that a higher price is a better bore, I say you may have your priority's wrong.

OldScrambler
honda305.com Member

Post by OldScrambler » Fri Jan 29, 2016 2:04 pm

Before you send your barrels.............do you have the pistons and rings in-hand? If so, send along with the barrels..........a PROFESSIONAL SHOP will bore each hole to provide the proper skirt-clearance..........and will usually ask if the application is for everyday-use or some sort of high-performance application. A 0.50 or 0.75mm over-sized bore will usually cure typical scores and pits in the liners.

I use and always recommend MELLENIUM TECHNOLOGIES.........in Plymouth, WI.........look them up with GOOGLE...........Last year I had several bores completed at a little less than $50 per hole..........of course I don't have expensive shipping because they are about 6-miles from my door. Your price may vary...........?

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Fri Jan 29, 2016 2:25 pm

I paid that amount when I lived in Fort Worth but that was back about 1995.
Ah the good old days......................lm
OldScrambler wrote:Before you send your barrels.............do you have the pistons and rings in-hand? If so, send along with the barrels..........a PROFESSIONAL SHOP will bore each hole to provide the proper skirt-clearance..........and will usually ask if the application is for everyday-use or some sort of high-performance application. A 0.50 or 0.75mm over-sized bore will usually cure typical scores and pits in the liners.

I use and always recommend MELLENIUM TECHNOLOGIES.........in Plymouth, WI.........look them up with GOOGLE...........Last year I had several bores completed at a little less than $50 per hole..........of course I don't have expensive shipping because they are about 6-miles from my door. Your price may vary...........?

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home