Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

CB77 valve questions

philrock
honda305.com Member

CB77 valve questions

Post by philrock » Wed Jul 15, 2015 9:45 am

I took my CB77 head assembly to the local motorcycle machine shop for a valve job. They removed the rockers and valves and asked me to come in and have a look. The intake valves are cupped and slightly pitted.

To my surprise, there are no valve seat inserts - is this standard for these motors?

I have located NOS intake valves for a reasonable price. How should I proceed - just have the shop lap the new valves in place?

The exhaust valves look pretty good - should I just have the shop lap them as well?

sprocket
honda305.com Member

Valve job

Post by sprocket » Thu Jul 16, 2015 9:43 am

Before they do any work on that head contact Loud Mouse and hope that he will do it for you. Ed has done lots of work for me, his work ethic is first rate and for the results his labor rate is a bargain.
Karl Hoglund

philrock
honda305.com Member

Post by philrock » Thu Jul 16, 2015 10:25 am

Sprocket,

Thanks for your message. I would certainly have gone to Loud Mouse, but I did no know about him until a couple of days after I dropped off the head at the local shop. They already have spent some time on the job, so I don't want to pull it out from under them and generate bad karma with a local resource.

I'm still hoping Loud Mouse will chime in with a comment or two.

Phil

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Thu Jul 16, 2015 12:44 pm

PM sent. ..................lm
philrock wrote:Sprocket,

Thanks for your message. I would certainly have gone to Loud Mouse, but I did no know about him until a couple of days after I dropped off the head at the local shop. They already have spent some time on the job, so I don't want to pull it out from under them and generate bad karma with a local resource.

I'm still hoping Loud Mouse will chime in with a comment or two.

Phil

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home